• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Male Golden Oriole present all day at Lakenheath Fen, tending to a single chick in a nest, just visible from the raised footpath. You get pretty decent views through the scope, but only if you know exactly where to line up your scope, to the inch! The bird is pretty much invisible otherwize, and it wasn't calling. Beautiful bird though. Thanks to the ppl who helped with directions. Also saw 3 Hobbys, including one pirched and calling bird, 2 Marsh Harriers and a Kingfisher

Then onto Weeting Heath (obviously). 8 Stone Curlews calling and flying about, which was nice to see. Also present were a singing Spotted Flycatcher, 3+ Green Woodpeckers and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Jason

Hi Chris.

Only just spotted your post. I've visited Arnolds marsh a couple times recently, to see the Roseates (failed both times!). However, I know the young tern your talking about, and I had it down as an Arctic Tern, based on the short legs and the structure of the head, with the short bill. There was no mistaking the bill length, with easy comparison with Commons. However, you are no doubt more experienced that I am, so is bill length/head shape and structure the best thing to go with when looking at young Commic Terns?

I didn't consider the carpal bar, as I didn't know it was a distinguishing feature (live and learn. Not massively experienced, lol). I also dont remember seeing the bird in flight, I'm afraid. However, I thought that Arctics also possess a carpal bar; just not usually as bold as in a Common?

Jason

Hi all,

Had nice views of the 3 Roseates Sunday in flight, calling & perched, also present 2-3 ad Arctic Terns,
5+ Spot Shank, 1 Greenshank, 2 Med Gulls (1ad & 1 1st sum).

My main reason for posting is the interest created by 2 or possibly 3 1st summer "sterna" terns - confidently identified by me & a couple of others as Common Terns, blackish bills, white forehead, and a small but obvious carpal patch formed by retained juv marginal feathers - mostly the birds were watched and discussed peched on the mud, and I was fairly confident that the obvious carpal patch put them beyond Arctic. However, 1 observer was adamant that he had a bird with short legs, ( he said "clearly shorter than surrounding ad commons") and that it was an Arctic Tern. I was unconvinced as judging leg length on a tapering piece of marsh at any range is subjective.

I have since noted with interest that RBA pager is regualrly posting 1 or 2 1st summer Arctic terns, it would appear that the safest way to be confident in this id, is to see the birds in flight, as 1st yr Common shows a contrasting primary wedge to the outer primaries on the upperwing, and a darker shadow line to the trailing edge of secondaries. We failed to see them well enough in flight to ascertain these features.

Have you seen these birds? I would be interested in comments from people who have seen these birds in flight and specifically what they have seen and identified them on - mainly as a useful education for future reference.

Regards Chris

Can anyone clarify the Honey Buzzard situation for this year please......

There seem to be reports saying that only one bird is present, some reports are of 2 birds, it's also been reported that the regular female was 'shot in mistake for a Marsh Harrier' (!!!!!!!!!!!WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!) last year.........

Would be good if someone could put the record straight...

James

Waders are now starting to move through Titchwell. 24 blackwits, 8 spotted redshank, 2 dunlin and 8 ruff on the fresh marsh this morning. There is now some mud starting the appear so hopefully numbers will continue to rise.

Good numbers of birds moving west with red kite at 11:30, 3 marsh harriers and a steady movement of swifts. Female red crested pochard still present in the reedbed although elusive.

2 quail still singing at Choseley this morning.

Paul

Hi James.

There are only 2 birds present this year, male and female. Only one of the birds is being seen with any regularity, hence only reports of single birds, and I dont think that they know whether the birds are nesting or not, as the volunteers hadn't gotten in there to look yet (a few weeks ago). They're pretty sure they are though because the birds are seen so infrequently.

As for the bird being shot, I heard that rumour as well, but nothing since. I'm sure it would have been brought up at the watchpoint if it was true. More likely it was shot on migration, tbh.

Jason

three questions:

1) can anyone recommend any good campsites in north norfolk?
2) when do the monties leave?
3) are there any honey buzzards at swanton novers this year?

thanks,
tom

three questions:

thanks,
tom

Hi Tom

(1) I use Crossways, Little Snoring, Nr Fakenham (01328 878335). Good (small) site but basic facilities. Ideal for getting to all the best sites, coast and inland.

(2 & 3) I am sure someone will give an answer.

Good Luck

Kevin

three questions:

thanks,
tom

Hi Tom

Another campsite right on the edge of Stiffkey Marsh - Stiffkey Campsite, The Greenway (01328 830235).

Lots of expensive entertainment sites (if you are interested) at Hunstanton, Wells and Cromer.

Regards

Kevin

Reasonable day today in Norfolk. Quail singing at Choseley, and excellent views of the Orioles at Lakenheath. The latter was made all the more amusing by multiple failed, and a few successful, attempts to point out the orioles to people present, given that the young bird was behind a leaf most of the time and the male only made sporadic visits.

Late afternoon Cart Gap to Happisburgh with the dog saw Little, Common and Sandwich Terns, a couple of Gannets each way and a dark phase Arctic Skua marauding offshore.

And thanks for the HB info Jason...

James

Last edited:
Late afternoon Cart Gap to Happisburgh with the dog saw Little, Common and Sandwich Terns, a couple of Gannets each way and a dark phase Arctic Skua marauding offshore.

And thanks for the HB info Jason...

James

er... absolutely ditto James

plus a few Fulmars and Kittiewakes

curlews over the house a.m.

Tim

I don't dispute that.... however, all my birding yesterday took place on Norfolk soil, including watching the orioles (although, as you correctly point out, the orioles themselves were in suffolk).

Not trying to be a smart arse here but for clarification. I understood the border at this point is the river "Little Ouse", which if you are stood looking at the Orioles is to your north, hence you are stood in Suffolk. The reason I am fairly confident is that I was with one of the assistant wardens one night when they were laughing about birds flying over the River and then having to submit their records to both County recorders. I did mange one year to get the GO's on my Norfolk year list however the birds I saw were to the north of the river! Hope this clears up any confusion.

Regards Chris

Not trying to be a smart arse here but for clarification. I understood the border at this point is the river "Little Ouse", which if you are stood looking at the Orioles is to your north, hence you are stood in Suffolk. The reason I am fairly confident is that I was with one of the assistant wardens one night when they were laughing about birds flying over the River and then having to submit their records to both County recorders. I did mange one year to get the GO's on my Norfolk year list however the birds I saw were to the north of the river! Hope this clears up any confusion.

Regards Chris

sorry, sorry, yes, you're not wrong. Just logged on now to correct my mistake! I too once saw one fly over the river into Norfolk and back again.

Dreadfull weather in Norfolk today, did manage to get to Strumpshaw Fen for a few hours ~ only the hobby and two Grasshopper Warblers heard near the fen hide were of note, a young Coot followed a Grass Snake swimming across the water was quite ammusing to watch ~ seen from the fen hide.

Still a few Avocets at Buckenham with Oystercatcher and a few Redshanks, two Little Egrets were also seen by the old pumping station by the river.
Not the best of days for insects but the usual were seen between the thunder/lightning and torrential downpours.

Matt

edit

How could I have forgotten the Bearded Tits!, two females and one male put in a great appearance with good long close views in front of the fen hide ~ these birds don't come easy on this reserve!

Attachments

• buckenham etc (Custom).jpg
    buckenham etc (Custom).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Male Golden Oriole present all day at Lakenheath Fen, tending to a single chick in a nest, just visible from the raised footpath. You get pretty decent views through the scope, but only if you know exactly where to line up your scope, to the inch! The bird is pretty much invisible otherwize, and it wasn't calling. Beautiful bird though. Thanks to the ppl who helped with directions. Also saw 3 Hobbys, including one pirched and calling bird, 2 Marsh Harriers and a Kingfisher

Then onto Weeting Heath (obviously). 8 Stone Curlews calling and flying about, which was nice to see. Also present were a singing Spotted Flycatcher, 3+ Green Woodpeckers and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Jason

Hi Jason.
Could have been standing near you on sunday also watched young oriole and male feeding it, also marsh harrier's, but only 1 hobby, but 1 sparrowhawk, 1 greenwoodpecker flying near car park.

Should have gone to weeting the same as you but we went to mayday farm waste of time except for a nice yellowhammer singing, so went to lynford also waste of time. will try up on the coast next time out.

Barry.

Hi Chris.

Only just spotted your post. I've visited Arnolds marsh a couple times recently, to see the Roseates (failed both times!). However, I know the young tern your talking about, and I had it down as an Arctic Tern, based on the short legs and the structure of the head, with the short bill. There was no mistaking the bill length, with easy comparison with Commons. However, you are no doubt more experienced that I am, so is bill length/head shape and structure the best thing to go with when looking at young Commic Terns?

I didn't consider the carpal bar, as I didn't know it was a distinguishing feature (live and learn. Not massively experienced, lol). I also dont remember seeing the bird in flight, I'm afraid. However, I thought that Arctics also possess a carpal bar; just not usually as bold as in a Common?

Jason

Not exactly on the ball with this one but this was the initial bird that caused a bit of confusion.
Andy

Attachments

• Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 105

Users who are viewing this thread

Back