• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sichuan Birding (2 Viewers)

Hi Mike, thanks for your opinion and tip, if I see one again I will know what to look for. Just wish I knew what this one was as I was so excited when I saw a pheasant in a remote location and I'm rather disappointed now that I can't tick off whichever species it was. Hopefully as you say one of the local birders might be able to give a definitive answer.

Ed

Sichuan visit with Sid

Just a few more pics from our Sichuan visit with Sid, siberian rubythroat, white-browed titwarbler, displaying tibetan lark and grey-headed bullfinch.

Attachments

• siberian rubythroat.jpg
    siberian rubythroat.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 65
  • white-browed tit warbler.JPG
    white-browed tit warbler.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 99
  • tibetan lark displaying.jpg
    tibetan lark displaying.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 81
  • grey-headed bullfinch.JPG
    grey-headed bullfinch.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 69
Tragopans

Sid, a few more of the Tragopan shots - the flash sure saved the day!

Attachments

• 2 temmincks tragopans.jpg
    2 temmincks tragopans.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1048.JPG
    IMG_1048.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 83
  • temmincks tragopan 2_edited-1.jpg
    temmincks tragopan 2_edited-1.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 89
More pics from May in Sichuan

Thanks for all of your comments, a few more pics. Ron

Attachments

• himalayan rubythroat.JPG
    himalayan rubythroat.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 64
  • himalayan bluetail_edited-2.jpg
    himalayan bluetail_edited-2.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 66
  • rufous-breasted accentor.JPG
    rufous-breasted accentor.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 58
  • upland buzzard.jpg
    upland buzzard.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 67
  • white-rumped snowfinch.JPG
    white-rumped snowfinch.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 59
Brilliant pics Ron - nice memories of a great trip.
At the moment I'm on the Ruoergai Grasslands - during day 10 of guiding for birdfinders.
So far had some great birds - those of special interest for me include - Purple Cochoa, Yellow-bellied Flowerpecker and Chinese Starling at Labahe - while today we got a Cotton Pygmy Goose close to Hongyuan. More stunning views of the Tragopan went down very well with the guests - two Red Pandas were also a highlight!!!!!

Sid

Wow that's red hot Sid -the cochoa especially is more grippy than a python wearing a suit made of double-sided sticky tape!

Cheers
Mike

Birdfinders trip

Brilliant pics Ron - nice memories of a great trip.
At the moment I'm on the Ruoergai Grasslands - during day 10 of guiding for birdfinders.
So far had some great birds - those of special interest for me include - Purple Cochoa, Yellow-bellied Flowerpecker and Chinese Starling at Labahe - while today we got a Cotton Pygmy Goose close to Hongyuan. More stunning views of the Tragopan went down very well with the guests - two Red Pandas were also a highlight!!!!!

Sid

2 Red Pandas!! Doh! Look forward to your report of the trip - Purple Cochoa wow, still must always leave something to see for next trip. Ron

Great to hear the cochoa is also at Labahe. I'm nearing the end to my Sichuan tour now. Never had so much rain on a Sichuan tour - rained everyday bar one, making life a bit more difficult than usual.

The closing of Wawu Shan has proven frustrating for the parrotbill, but not for much else as we included Emei Shan again - we to had a fantastic Purple Cochoa (I've never missed it here), pair of Vivid Niltava, Chinese Tawny Owl, White-spectacled Warbler, Golden Parrotbill and Chestnut-crowned Bush Warbler, 3sp forktail etc etc - I really don't understand why so few birders visit Emei - it was as superb as always!
Labahe was just plain wet for us, though all the usual bits showed up there, and of most interest for me, 29 Takin!

Wolong was good fun, monals on three consectutive days at both of my sites, Wood Snipe displaying well after dawn, Sharpe's Rosefinch and some highly territorial Snowcocks chasing each other, tails wagging. Wuyipeng was as excellent as usual - Barred and Red-winged Laughers, Great and Three-toed Parrotbills.

Mengi Shan proved frustrating as we missed the jay,but got it later on at Baxi, along with Blue Eared Pheasant, Amur Falcon, Three-banded Rosefinch and all the usuall goodies. The highlight on the plains was a couple of Wolves strolling around at dawn - fantastic!

Just finishing up at Jiuzhaigou now (my favourite site in Sichuan, no idea how anyone could give it a miss!), Rufous-headed Robin appeared before we had even started to look for it, Pere David's Tits were common, a flock of at least 30 Spectacled Parrotbill (our 8th on the tour), and today we got a pair of Sichuan Treecreeper - a species I thought we were going to miss out on until I went to my 2004 site, thankfully they were still present!

Photos to follow, once our final day is out of the way...

James

ps - Sid, those Gansu Leaf Warblers - were they actually vocalising back? Just appear to have very plain ear-coverts on that one photo you posted - could you post a side-on shot?

Hi James,
I have attached side view of the Gansu leaf warbler- same bird as in other photo.I remember Sid being very happy with the vocalisation of these birds.
cheers, Ron.

Attachments

• gansu side.jpg
    gansu side.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 74
Hi Ron - those tragopan photos are beautiful! What an amazing bird.

And Sid--I'm well jealous of the 2 red pandas. Heard that those marvelous mammals are ludicrously hard to spot in the wild. By any chance, did you catch those out in Wuyipeng/Balangshan?

Hi Chang, Sid and James

Hi Ron - those tragopan photos are beautiful! What an amazing bird.

And Sid--I'm well jealous of the 2 red pandas. Heard that those marvelous mammals are ludicrously hard to spot in the wild. By any chance, did you catch those out in Wuyipeng/Balangshan?

Hi Chang, to my mind our beloved Wawu should be one of the best place for spoting the Red Panda on the earth in the past. I think Sid and James could agree with me at this point. Will see what would happen in the future after the god damned redevelopment.

Hi Sid--congratulation to your excellent records at Labahe! My friend and I also visited there at end of May. Failed to find any goodies, only heard the LA Pheasant. Well, the night walk is much fruitful, at least 7 Sambar Deer with 1 Goral feeding on the clif 50 m away!

Hi James--It seems the rainy season comes much earlier than usual in this year. I've guided two birding tour groups in May, one from Japan! Wang Lang is so good for the Blue Eared Pheasant, but the ongoing built road condition is even worse than that which leading to Wolong (will be fine in 2 years). I saw 1 pair of Eastern Imperial Eagles and 1 Indian Black Eagle near Jiuzhaigou. The latter will be the northest record for this species, unforunately we didn't manage to take any photo of that bird.

It's me again, sorry for my poor English "at least 7 Sambar Deer with 1 Goral feeding on the clif 50 m away". Its not the sambar deer "with" goral. We drove along the road in Labahe, and spotted at least 4 times of several deers. We found just 1 goral feeding on the clif of opposite side of the stream which just around 50 m away. What a pit, its too dark to take any photo of that lovely animal.

Just back from the last trip - and getting ready to head back out at the beginning of next week.
A species of interest that I didn't include in my last post is Crimson-browed Finch - 3 rather tame females were very seen on Balang. Another bird I've never before seen on Balang were Tibetan Partridge, and a Snow Partridge, a bird we usual see on the top, was found at the Monal stakeout (Monals also present). Golden Pheasants were also seen as roadside birds on Balang, which made up for an unsuccessful attempt to find them at one of the more usual sites around Sawan.
We also got one of our Red Pandas on the way up to the Balang Pass and the other at Labahe. Like James we also got Takin at Labahe. Another outstanding mammal was Tibetan Fox at Ruoergai - these are usually quite easy to find, as they hunt Pika, on the grasslands close to Flower lake.

Robbi - those Eastern Imperial Eagles makes me feel jealous!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure it's one of the raptors that passes over my survey area in NE Sichuan - but not yet been lucky enough to get one.
As for Wawu and development - I'm afraid the same idiots also manage Labahe - and there they have a plan from building a skislope - on the slope that now has the wooden boardwalk. An area where we have seen Red Panda and Takin (both our last sightings from here) and have found Giant Panda skat. So far, it seems they have no investors - roll on the recession, because if money comes their way these clowns will be destroying Giant Panda Habitat.

Chang - those Red Pandas aren't too difficult to find - Labahe, especially around October/November when they're eating berries, is a great site - lets hope they still be at Wawu when it reopens.

James - I saw similar Warblers again at a cold, wet Ruoergai but this time could get no vocalizations or response so chose to leave them as unidentified. Birding this June was a damp and sometimes chilly affair!!!!!

Ron - thanks again for those great pics!!!!!

UUUGH that is absolutely disgusting that a pack of incompetent a**hats manage such (from the sound of it) incredible sites...Out here in Jiangsu/Zhejiang, the management--such that I've seen at Chongming Dongtan and Yancheng--is pretty strict, but at least generally run by competent folks. There's been a move at least in these two provinces towards hiring field workers/managers and upper-level management who did at least undergraduate-level work in ecology. Which absolutely makes a huge difference. Sounds like Sichuan may still be operating under the central government system where people are randomly slotted into job openings, irrespective of their interests, qualifications, or training. And that is just awful when you consider that the staggering biodiversity of Sichuan/Yunnan region would be just so much better managed with *competent* individuals (they exist and they're looking for jobs! I'm dead certain there are qualified Sichuan youngins who'd be more than happy to take this line of work. Certainly there are a surprising number of wildlife managers in Shanghai, which is urban glitz central).

But in any event, cheers to you lot--lrobbizl (on which point--are you by any chance at 北师大?我今年的导师是复旦大学的马志军老师,他原来是郑光美(Zheng Guangmei)的博后。。。), Sid, and James--for some great sightings. I'll be heading out to Yunnan and Sichuan next month with some non-birder (hike- and culturrrr-loving) friends who I am trying to convince to go to Emei Shan (will probs happen) and other sites (Sichuan: Emei, maybe Wuyipeng/Balang mountain; Yunnan: Xishuangbanna, Deqin, Jizushan, Tiger leaping gorge...dunno if it's worth the trip though or Jade Snow Mountain, Shangri-La). Let me know if any of you would like to meet up in Chengdu or Kunming! That'll kind of be our base of operations, since we have expat friends out in Chengdu.

thanks eerbody,

-charlotte

But in any event, cheers to you lot--lrobbizl (on which point--are you by any chance at 北师大?我今年的导师是复旦大学的马志军老师,他原来是郑光美(Zheng Guangmei)的博后。。。),

-charlotte

Hi Charlotte, I'm not at 北师大 but I'm in Beijing now. There will be workshop for young "Chinese" students whom majoring in the ornithology or avian biology at 北师大 in August. Will you join this? The July is mainly rainy season for the Sichuan and Yunnan, good luck to your in coming trip!

To Sid-- your crimson-browed finch is really cool! Good luck to your next trip!

Robbi

Just back from the last trip - and getting ready to head back out at the beginning of next week.....We also got one of our Red Pandas on the way up to the Balang Pass and the other at Labahe. Like James we also got Takin at Labahe. Another outstanding mammal was Tibetan Fox at Ruoergai - these are usually quite easy to find, as they hunt Pika, on the grasslands close to Flower lake.

Here's one of the two Red Pandas from that trip, and a Lammergeier.

Rhion

Attachments

• LammergeierSmall.jpg
    LammergeierSmall.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 59
  • RedPandacopy.JPG
    RedPandacopy.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back