• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner Wildlife Pro 8x30 (1 Viewer)

I really think Steiner's claims to "Auto-focus" border on the fraudulent and am surprised that they have not been banned by an advertising standards authority.

They merely rely on depth of field and the user's accommodation and do not differ from other bins of the same magnification.

John

I've never been able to completely figure Steiner out. For instance they offer at least five models of what appear to be the IF version of the CF Wildelife Pro glass. All have the same specification and presumably similar optical performance. The list prices of the four commercial models range from $200 to $280 while the reticule (and presumably laser filter) equipped Military-R mil-spec version sells for three times as much. I've often wondered how much of the cost differential, particularly among the commercial models, is build/optical quality and how much is marketing, in the same league as their 20yd to infinity "automatic" focus claim.

That said, the 8x30 Safari Pro pair I have is a good, if not great IF Porro that's waterproof and built like the proverbial tank.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back