• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth in early August (1 Viewer)

JRE

I'll be camping for a couple of days in Falmouth at the beginning of August. I know the area is good in winter - which is the best site(s) at that time of year?
Cheers,
Jyothi

Jyothi Ray said:
I'll be camping for a couple of days in Falmouth at the beginning of August. I know the area is good in winter - which is the best site(s) at that time of year?
Cheers,
Jyothi

Jyothi, depends if you've got transport or not, if you haven't try Swanpool, a walk around the perimeter of the lake might turn up something plus early Med Gull on the lake. The Castle Drive area is worth a look for passerines but Falmouth, at this time of year is not known as one of the better birding spots.

If you can manage a trip to The Lizard area you stand a far better chance of some good birding.

I've put a link below which will give you a bit of info on the general area.
http://www.cbwps.org.uk/

Regards

John

Swanpool - go to Falmouth beach and follow the cliff path at the right hand end, buy great ice cream at beach hut, cross road to pool.
Or drive there.
At the seaside end are usually 1-3 Med gulls and Water rail that appear from the reeds to your left.
Walk around the right hand side following the main road, from about half way look again for Water rail about two feet from the edge.
At the 'ducks crossing' sign there has been a Shoveler duck, some strange x-Mallard, a true Mallard female that's surviving well with a deformed beak.
Looking across the pool there's a breeding raft for the Mute swans that's popular with the Cormorants for drying out - the Cormorants are looking very fine in breeding plumage just now.
From the sign follow the pool around past a bench and pool map - look to the right for a nasty building that might be a pumping station, turn right there up a narrow lane into the Swanvale nature reserve - it's about 200 yards long.
Lately there's been every Tit including Long tailed, Grey wagtail, Bullfinch, Jays, Nuthatch etc.
Returning to the pool you can continue the circuit back to the beach but that side is very overgrown, once at the beach at the right hand end there's another cafe - a few yards up the road from there is the coastal path which leads as far as you want to go - first stop is Maenporth a couple of miles away.
Falmouth is an odd place for birding, the sea is packed with huge Cormorants, occasional Little egret, few Gannets a Razorbill - not much else.
There's always a Kestrel around Pendennis castle, Turnstones scuttling about the quays, Herons down the creeks - come to think of it the best way to see Falmouth is by boat.
There are many boat trips.....
Ferry to St Mawes - see the 16th century castle and get a further ferry to Place house, walk around St Anthony head,
Ferry to Flushing and do a circular walk to Mylor churchtown,
Ferry to the Helford river and go to Trebah & Glendurgan gardens - both are magnificent and have private beaches.

Thanks chaps, noted down the info. Yes, I have got transport, my personal Chauffeur (ie. my dad) is willing and able to drive me relatively short distances, though as he has work commitments, he can't take me very far.

Hi there, Visit my website for more info on Falmouth. I attempt to keep it updated every day and there's links to places which offer something of ineterest in the area. August is 'seawatching' season, so it mite be best to hav a try at it at Pendennis, Pennance or Rosemullion Head. Porthgwarra is the supreme site though.
If the water levels are low enough at STithinas there might be chance of finding yourself a rare wader or two!
College Reservoir has been pretty good all winter, I found another ring-necked duck there the other day and hopefully by august the water levels are lower there too and some waders should appear.

www.geocities.com/falmouthbirding

Henerz

henerz1 said:
College Reservoir has been pretty good all winter, I found another ring-necked duck there the other day and hopefully by august the water levels are lower there too and some waders should appear.

www.geocities.com/falmouthbirding

Henerz

Splendid website - thanks !!
I visit the Falmouth area every week.

I spoke to the reservoir Warden a while ago and he told me 'College' was closed to the public - I'll give it a go now I know how to get in.

Officially it is but there is a track which is passable around the northern perimeter. This has viewpoints over the water but misses out some views over the south part of the res which has turned up Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck and Purple Heron in the past, so, a little walk coming from Argal, taking the right hand fork and stopping to view the first couple of spots before the path becomes too bad is a good idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back