• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker QUiz: Gila or Red-Bellied? (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
Here's number two of the quiz! Is the bird below a Red-Bellied Woodpecker or a Gila Woodpecker?

PM me your answers, please! Answer will be posted tomorrow.

Attachments

• red-bellied or gila.jpg
    red-bellied or gila.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 191
OK, The Answers:

Larry was right. It is a Red-Bellied Woodpecker, but how he could distinguish it from a gila or Golden-Fronted, I'll never know.

gthang said:
OK, The Answers:

Larry was right. It is a Red-Bellied Woodpecker, but how he could distinguish it from a gila or Golden-Fronted, I'll never know.

Never underestimate Missourian birders,gthang ;)

The photo you posted was a little tricky, because it did not show the red on the nape (female) or the red on the nape and crown (male). Red-bellied are whiter on their front (throat, breast and belly) than the Gila or Golden-fronted Woodpeckers.

(It also helped to know that this bird was probably photographed in New York, where it would almost certainly be a Red-bellied Woodpecker).

Gthang's pic does show the small yellow/orange spot immediately above the base of the bill; Gila Wp doesn't have that, so that limits it to just Golden-fronted (named from this character!) or Red-bellied.

Circumstantial evidence suggested Red-bellied: I recognised Gthang's feeder from his other pics, and he's never mentioned going on a birding trip to Texas, so that counts out Golden-fronted ;)

Michael

Dang it! Well, I've been having trouble getting the camera to focus on the woodie when it was up in the tree. I would've modified the image, but then it would've been grasping an invisible tree!

Michael Frankis said:
...Golden-fronted (named from this character!)...
Hey michael, what do you mean by the quote ^?

Hi Gthang,

Means the name Golden-fronted Wp derives from this field recognition character, it has a golden front immediately above its bill.
Don't worry, I wasn't calling you a character! :-O

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back