• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus binoculars-any good ? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I spoke to someone who has just purchased a pair of 10 x 25 for £60 (ish) and tells me they are very good (he has been using a old pair of Zeis-I think over 40 yrs old).

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about them i.e. who makes them? what they compare to ? etc.

I will be seeing them next week but wanted a bit more knowledge before-hand,

They vary - 8x25 PC I reverse porros are generally liked, there are several similar sounding ranges but with lower specs and avoid the zoom models.

8x25 EXWPI roof not their best optically but probably indestructible!

The 8x42 or the slightly better 10x42 EXWPI roofs can be good but there have been quality variations in the past, though previous reviews state that Olympus will exchange with no quibble. I quite like them though the 10x seems to be better of the two (minimal ca on the pair I use).

The EXPSI porro range seem to have been liked but I find that they don't work for me, I have a similar problem with the Nikon EX /Action Extreme Range. (Wrong shape or something?)

A major consideration is the price I have seen the same item advertised in different places with roughly a 3 to 1 variation in price! At the lower end of the range I would say that they really represent good value.

There was a report a little while that they are out of production, however it doesn't appear to have worked its way down to the supply end and I would wonder how many of the older designs by most manufacturers are actually rolling off production lines at this moment?

Again now more than ever it is vital to try before buying as there are excellent bargains out there from most manufacturers.

Summary - the 8x25 PC I and the 10x42 EXWPI are my picks from this manufacturer if found at the right price and condition. Both have had reasonable reviews from various sources - though not always in English! I have deliberately avoided comparing with others as this is highly subjective and I have chickened out!

J

I did have the opportunity to sample the EXWPI 8x42 and was favorably impressed with the optical quality they provide. They were at the same level as the Nikon Monarch and Bushnell Legend but at only about 2/3rds the price.

The Polish optics review site (who's name in Polish I can never remember but search this forum as I posted a way to translate the Polish to English to read the site) I recall had a very favorable review of the

But as Tero alludes to both Olympus and Minolta are out of the bin business (and in the latter case at least out of anything business having being bought up by Ricoh(?)) so you are unlikely to

Minolta is even out of camera business. What a brutal competition. You still can find Olympus or Minolta binoculars in camera stores occasionally.

Not srictly true about Minolta being out of the camera business. Minolta merged with or was taken over by Konica. this company in turn was acquired by Sony and I am sure that the "brains" of both of the former companies are busy developing camera products under the Sony label.

Does anyone (Sony?) still support the warranty.

I have an older Minolta SLR (and a Minolta reverse porro 8x25). Both decent optics though the bin is a BK7 prismed, single coated and rather dim by today's standards.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of Olympus in the UK at this moment, though many dealers don't stock them concentrating on the more advertised/better selling brands. The UK does seem to be the original 'last chance to see' for binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back