• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ian Botham (1 Viewer)

So, in essence, the RSPB should be there to pick up the pieces when government policy stuffs things up for wildlife, but has no business trying to prevent the stuff-ups in the first place. What a first class bunch of ... I have such fond memories of watching Botham on the telly with my dear departed Grandad back in the early eighties, it was just magnificent, but this is just greedy self-interest. I cannot believe that he doesn't understand that to acheive anything on a big scale involves a lot of lobbying & politicking, this is just opportunistic mud-slinging. Achchch! Bad cess to him, and his kind. Rant over.

James

Besides, didn't the RSPB start life as essentially a political campaigning body? Didn't even buy its first reserve till it had been going for 25 years or more.

James

Typical weaselly manipulation of language from a spokesperson for a group of anti-conservationists. If, in their tiny minds, "conservation" equates with "reserves" they are admitting that, as they do not have / run reserves, they cannot be "conservationists". ( Oops. Twelve bore to the old foot there chaps |:$| )
There again, it was in the Daily Wail so it's not really aimed at anyone capable of having two synapses consecutively firing in the same week.

Those original ladies in 19th century Didsbury (Manchester) were hard core political activists (for their time) according to a local book I read many years ago.

Typical weaselly manipulation of language from a spokesperson for a group of anti-conservationists. If, in their tiny minds, "conservation" equates with "reserves" they are admitting that, as they do not have / run reserves, they cannot be "conservationists". ( Oops. Twelve bore to the old foot there chaps |:$| )
There again, it was in the Daily Wail so it's not really aimed at anyone capable of having two synapses consecutively firing in the same week.

I accidentally happened on a similar article in the Telegraph the other day: there appears to be a concerted effort in progress, which to my mind means the RSPB must be getting it as near right as makes no matter. Clearly the enemy thinks what they are doing is relevant and effective, otherwise they would ignore it.

John

Those original ladies in 19th century Didsbury (Manchester) were hard core political activists (for their time) according to a local book I read many years ago.

If I remember right, they formed what was the fledgling RSPB in response to the "fashion" for women to wear hats made of birds' feathers (and sometimes actual whole birds).

I accidentally happened on a similar article in the Telegraph the other day: there appears to be a concerted effort in progress, which to my mind means the RSPB must be getting it as near right as makes no matter. Clearly the enemy thinks what they are doing is relevant and effective, otherwise they would ignore it.

John

I agree, the hunting/shooting mob are not a mob; they are well organised power brokers who have the government and most of the media in there pockets. Anyone who tries to use the countryside can see that. Just think what it must be like, living in the feudal glens and dales, where your job/income depends on toeing the line.

I agree, the hunting/shooting mob are not a mob; they are well organised power brokers who have the government and most of the media in there pockets. Anyone who tries to use the countryside can see that. Just think what it must be like, living in the feudal glens and dales, where your job/income depends on toeing the line.

Well, in that case, lets indicate our approval of the RSPB with the traditional Army signal to the Cavalry in full cry: HOA - Hack On, Algy!

RSPB: go get 'em, Floyd.

John

In the words of Wolfie and the Tooting Popular Front "That's it mate. Come the revolution, you'll be first against the wall bop-bop-bop" ;)

The MSM will continue to support the establishment as long as people support them. Why let a simple matter like truth get in the way of Establishment propaganda? If you continually diagree with their bias and propaganda, stop buying their newspapers.

Agree with John - the greater level of opposition, the greater effectiveness in RSPB's campaigning.

The Charity Commission will have to assess to what extent RSPB's activities are consistent with their stated aims as a charity under the relevant ordinance. Clearly RSPB's work is about much more than reserves, so such a poorly researched attack is unlikely to be effective.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back