• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D Remote Capture (1 Viewer)

glazzers

I have just purchase the 7D and spent 2 whole days trying to get the EOS Utility to work with it on a Windows Vista machine, all to no avail. I contacted canon and they told me that it is not compatible with Windows Vista SP2 and they will not be releasing any drivers to make it so. ( I told them this was a con and why did they release software that will not work on the latest Windows operating machines.) The fact that Vista has its own problems is another story.

My question is, does anyone know if DSLR Remote Capture Pro or GB Timelapse or any other Remote capture software will work with the 7D on Vista machines ?

Vista and a large hammer are usually a good combination -- but this is a pretty dire situation and as other software producers usually take 3 months or so to get their own versions of a new cameras processing software out Canon must surely be obliged to do something

I don't have a 7D but I'm running Vista SP2 32 bit and my EOS Utility V2.6.1.0 works just fine with my 30D, 40D, 50D and 1D3. I was running lens calibration just yesterday with my 50D while using remote/tethered focus and capture.

I don't know why Canon told you it is not compatible. Perhaps they mean they have not specifically tested/certified it with SP2, but certainly my copy works without a hitch.

I can supply screen prints, if you like, but honestly, it works. Maybe there is a glitch with the new software for the 7D, although I don't understand why that would not have been developed/tested on SP2. Another possibility is that there is some sort of conflict with other software, like phone sync stuff that might lock up a port and not release it. Or maybe you connected the camera before installing the EOS Utility and now the camera drivers are screwed up. If that's the case you'll need to uninstall the camera from Device Manager, re-install the EOS Utility software and then attach the camera. Hopefully that will get you sorted. If not then I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest.

EDIT : p.s. At home I am running four Vista X86 laptops and two Vista X86 PCs and I can't really say that I have a problem with any of them. All work quite well enough. Mostly I wipe the manufacturer installations and put on my own clean copies of the OS, without all the manufacturer crud, but that doesn't apply to all the machines, just most of them. Without the manufacturer's garbage they work well.

Last edited:
EOS Utility

The Eos Utility that came in the 7D box is version 2.7.0.2. I dont see any Canon drivers on the disc.
When I plug in my 7D to the computer, it comes up with the device cannot be loaded correctly. In device manager the camera is loaded under portable devices as a Digital Still camera with a yellow warning icon. When I try to update drivers it says drivers are up to date and then it disappears from the device manager completely.
As far as I am aware it should load under Imaging devices as a Canon 7D ( It does on a XP machine)
I cannot see any Canon 7D drivers on the Canon website.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times the software all to no avail.

I've never had to install "drivers" for my EOS cameras, nor seen Windows automatically installing them, as far as I can recall. Everything always works just fine and dandy so long as I install the Canon software before attaching the camera. This is not unique to Canon. It is often, but not always, the case that the software(/drivers) must be installed before the "peripheral" is attached - printer, scanner, camera, phone, colorimeter etc..

If you are getting the yellow warning triangle it usually means the "drivers" are screwed in some way. In my experience the generic solution is to uninstall the device while it is attached, from within Device Manager, and then reinstall the software and reattach the device. Maybe it would be worth a reboot after uninstalling the camera and the software. Then install the software and finally attach the camera.

I'm suspicious of Canon's claims that it does not work under SP2. That just seems like bollox to me, unless they have seriously screwed up their own development/testing cycle on this latest EOS Utility release.

Last edited:
Still no joy

I did all of the above and still no joy. If anyone has it working with vista SP2 I would be grateful if they could check in the device manager where it is installed and the name of the correct driver......Thanks

Sounds to me like quite a failure on Canon's part and nothing to with MS although we know they have their bad moments as well. I cannot see anyway around this unless or until Canon get their finger out!

When one considers all PCs and laptops are being sold with Vista this could turn into quite a headache for buyers of 7D. Perthaps other potential purchasers should bear your experience in mind.

Here's hoping Canon do a patch to fix it.

In a similar vein I run Elements 5 for processing and find that Adobe have not done a patch for this software to deal with Raw on a 50D. Anyone got any info on that? Much appreciated if you can help.

Sounds to me like quite a failure on Canon's part and nothing to with MS although we know they have their bad moments as well. I cannot see anyway around this unless or until Canon get their finger out!

When one considers all PCs and laptops are being sold with Vista this could turn into quite a headache for buyers of 7D. Perthaps other potential purchasers should bear your experience in mind.

Here's hoping Canon do a patch to fix it.

In a similar vein I run Elements 5 for processing and find that Adobe have not done a patch for this software to deal with Raw on a 50D. Anyone got any info on that? Much appreciated if you can help.

Hi Robert

I have Elements 6 and had to get a raw update from Adobe for it to work, but I never use it, I always use DPP for raw then convert to jpg to play around in Elements 6, at this moment in time I don't use tiff in my process. But if you want to use raw in Elements I would go straight to get a upgrade to 7

I have just purchase the 7D and spent 2 whole days trying to get the EOS c to work with it on a Windows Vista machine, all to no avail. I contacted canon and they told me that it is not compatible with Windows Vista SP2 and they will not be releasing any drivers to make it so. ( I told them this was a con and why did they release software that will not work on the latest Windows operating machines.) The fact that Vista has its own problems is another story.

My question is, does anyone know if DSLR Remote Capture Pro or GB Timelapse or any other Remote capture software will work with the 7D on Vista machines ?

I am using Vista HP SP1 my 450d and 50d worked fine with EOS Utility when I get my 7d (now in transit) soon I will let you know how I get on,

BTW I always use a card reader to download all my images, don't know if that makes a difference, but I could change things in my camera using the EOS utility.

I installed Windows 7 Home Premium X64 on the day of release (22nd October). All my Canon software installed perfectly and I have attached several different bodies (30D, 40D, 50D, 1D3) to EOS Utility with no problems. I did see the "installing drivers" message when attaching each camera but it was 100% automatic and needed no input from me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back