• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which camera (1 Viewer)

dave dack

Hi there ,hope you can help me.I am wanting to buy a digital camera and have been told canon are probably the best,but not sure which model to get.I am really wanting to take very good sharp images of birds and have been told the 40d and 50d are great cameras,can any one explain the differences to me and is it worth spending the extra to get the 50d,or can i get close to these images with a 500d or 450d as these are a bit cheaper.Then which lens to get,a friend of mine has the canon 400m f5.6 (i think) and he reckons this is the bees knees.Sorry to bore you with this essay.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Dave,to get really sharp shots of birds it will be more to do with the Lens and photographic skill rather than the Camera. Either the 40D or 50D with the lens you mention (400/5.6) is capable of producing excellent bird shots.

Dave I will say right now that although you can get decent images with either a 450D or 500D, don't bother. They will prove really to be a waste in the long term. I had a 400D and upgraded to a 50D and the difference was startling. I also have to say that the 50D is IMO an easier camera to operate.

Dave,to get really sharp shots of birds it will be more to do with the Lens and photographic skill rather than the Camera. Either the 40D or 50D with the lens you mention (400/5.6) is capable of producing excellent bird shots.

I would agree with this

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back