• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help ID seabirds in Fernando de Noronha, Brazil? (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Here are two photos of birds I saw on my honeymoon before I was really interested in birding. It was fun to scrounge up these pictures. I think one is a red-footed booby? The other one with the horses, I don't know.

Also, I posted a video of a diving bird -- can anyone tell what it is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLNwg8csj4E

Unfortunately the uploaded quality is not very good. I was wondering if it is a magnificent frigatebird, since I'd seen some of those around.

(My husband is the one going "boom!" in the background of the video as the birds dive into the water. He really enjoyed them.)

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 113
first pic looks like cattle egrets (Bubulcus ibis), although i had no idea they had reached down as far as brazil. i don't know much about boobies (don't even..) but it looks like a red-footed to me.

Unfortunately the uploaded quality is not very good. I was wondering if it is a magnificent frigatebird, since I'd seen some of those around.

Agree on cattle egret, not sure about the others. FYI: Frigatebirds never do what the bird in the video is doing, i.e. plunge dive.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
The behavior of the birds in the video reminds me more of a tern then brown booby: the boobies I see normally fly lower and dive into the water at an angle, not vertical from that high up. It is also seemingly very close to the coast, again where I would expect a tern to be (boobies a little further out, maybe half-way to the boat). I am not sure which ones could be possible down there. I could be wrong though.

I think the other two id's are correct.

Niels

I'd agree that they were Brown Booby. If you click on 'watch in high quality' below the 'View' tag, you can clearly see they have brown backs, head and necks, with white underparts. I would say they were far to big for terns too.

Clicking watch in high quality does not seem to work for me - I even received an error message that the movie was not there anymore ...
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back