• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon ef-s 55-250 f4.0-5.6 is (1 Viewer)

gordthelord

I've seen this advertised on amazon for a reasonable 169 pounds. It has received favourable reviews on amazon. Has anyone used it, if so how does it perform?

It seems to cover a useful focal length range and wondered if it might be worth a punt.
Any views?

A friend of mine owns one and despite the range, the IQ when stopped to F8 even at 250mm looks close to an L for me
And I think the close focus distance makes it specially good for hummingbirds

For the money it is a cracker of a lens, although I traded all my EOS gear in for a Panasonic G1 outfit (less weight - especially the lenses etc., etc)

I've bitten the bullet and ordered one from CrazyCameras - £162. Will let you know how the photos turn out.

Di

gordthelord, If you get in touch with a gentleman called Macswede he will no doubt post some very nice pics that his wife took. He is most likely to be found on the gallery bit.

Thanks for the feedback folks. May get one for me but will also recommend it to a friend of mine thats just starting out. Not a serious birder but a general walkabout photographer.

In case anyone hasn't noticed there's one for sale at a nice price in the classifieds. But you'll have to look carefully to find it. ;)

Let the race begin! :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back