• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D Ghosting (1 Viewer)

GYRob

hope you can make this out but the black dots are right in the middle of a ghost image .
Rob.

Attachments

• goast.jpg
    goast.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 316
As I understood it the ghost image problem was just that. A 'ghost' of a previous shot being carried over into the next image. So unless you took a shot of some black dots ( ;) ).

Does show though, all those who chose to wait before buying one while the teething problems of the 7D were worked out appear to have had their fears justified.

Last edited:
If you tone down the highlights of the shot the ghosting becomes very evident - there is also very strong ghosting just above the bottom right hand bird.

Attachments

• goast_mod.jpg
    goast_mod.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
There are several threads on ghosting on the DPReview forums for the 7D (http://forums.dpreview.com.)
It may be that some 7D examples show this. (no, I don't own one). It seems that when high speed shooting, the sensor is not cleared of the previous image.

May be fixed with a firmware update from Canon, er, hopefully!

As I have said before I have not seen this on my images, but I have not taken a vast amount at the moment due to the weather, do you think the dual processors in this camera might have something to do with this ?

As I have said before I have not seen this on my images, but I have not taken a vast amount at the moment due to the weather, do you think the dual processors in this camera might have something to do with this ?

I doubt it, numerous othe models use dual processors and none of them have had this issue.

Another drastic way to show it is to equlize in PS.
another taken at the same time .
and it is the shot before showing. apart from this problem the cameras great :)
think i will waite a year for the mk4 though lol
Rob.

Attachments

• opps.jpg
    opps.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 143
Another drastic way to show it is to equlize in PS.
another taken at the same time .
and it is the shot before showing. apart from this problem the cameras great :)
think i will waite a year for the mk4 though lol
Rob.

Now that is conclusive, but you would not put it in your galley, do you think he went to heaven, its a bit like the banding in the 50d you had to be way out on your exposure and high ISO, Don't think Canon will take long to fix it, there reputation is on the line, firmware will be available soon :t:

Do you suppose this can be truly fixed with a Firmware update or could we see a possible recall?

Jaff this came from Canon USA

"Canon is currently investigating and analyzing the cause of this phenomenon, and we are planning to release a firmware update to address this issue."

From the link Tim provided :

"In images captured by continuous shooting, and under certain conditions, barely noticeable traces of the immediately preceding frame may be visible.
This phenomenon is not noticeable in an image with optimal exposure. The phenomenon may become more noticeable if a retouching process such as level compensation is applied to emphasize the image"

I love the way they try and play it down and make it sound like it's our fault for not taking the perfectly exposed photo! Canon aren't making many friends with these kinds of statements.

Also
"Going forward, we will spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers can use our products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your understanding."
Well forgive me for being a bit sceptical about that Canon! 8-P

Jaff this came from Canon USA

"Canon is currently investigating and analyzing the cause of this phenomenon, and we are planning to release a firmware update to address this issue."

I hope for 7D owners it is just a firmware upgrade but I attended a seminar hosted by Canon a while ago where a senior sales bod categorically stated that the mkIII would be fixed with a firmware upgrade. If a recall was needed Canon would already have done it he said.
And what happened a week later - Yep Canon recalled the damn things :-O

From the link Tim provided :

"In images captured by continuous shooting, and under certain conditions, barely noticeable traces of the immediately preceding frame may be visible.
This phenomenon is not noticeable in an image with optimal exposure. The phenomenon may become more noticeable if a retouching process such as level compensation is applied to emphasize the image"

I love the way they try and play it down and make it sound like it's our fault for not taking the perfectly exposed photo! Canon aren't making many friends with these kinds of statements.

Also
"Going forward, we will spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers can use our products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your understanding."
Well forgive me for being a bit sceptical about that Canon! 8-P

Jaff you are naughty Puddytat :cat:

Don`t hold your breath Terry ! I should also add that there is one for sale in the "For Sale" thing.

Last edited:
Don`t hold your breath Terry !

John, I like my 7d very much, I like all the little toys it comes with, if I was to get a ghostly figure in the image, I would think it was aberration from God and thank Canon for it :-O until the firmware came out :D Quel sera, sera

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back