• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arty Christmas presents (1 Viewer)

Apodemus

So, did you get anything interesting?

My highlights were "The Living birds of Eric Ennion", "Drawing Birds" by John Busby, and a bunch of oil paints.

I'm already having fun with the oils.

Mike

'The Silvery Tay' by Keith Brockie and I think one by Darren Woodhead (can't say for sure since it hasn't arrived yet! But it was at the top of my list).

Since my birthday is also fairly recent I also got 'An Artist on Migration' by Bruce Pearson and 'Portrait of a Living Marsh' by Artists for Nature Foundation. I've finished reading all but the Pearson book and expect to return to them many times just to see what's there. All have been greatly enjoyable.

Maybe the best present, one to myself, was the video '10 Days to Paint the Forest.' I'd say that 25% at most is artists at work but the 2-3 minutes of Lars Jonsson painting a watercolor was worth the price in itself. One of the most surprising things was to see him do a detailed drawing then immediately wipe it out with broad brushstrokes! In any case those 2-3 minutes were like a month long course in how to paint in watercolor for me! Other artists were shown as well, though far less that I would have liked, but the part that really stood out for me was Jonsson.

Portrait of a Living Marsh, like Ken, enjoying it very much. I also have the books you mention, and think they are just the greatest.

Payne's Grey - another one of those 'cheat' colours that seems to do everything. I grew up on ultramarine and burnt sienna mixes, but Payne's is just so handy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back