• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax - Company Sold ??? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
While I was on the phone with Tom today at Eagle Optics ordering a few of Pentax's XW eyepieces( Now Discontinued), I asked him if or when they might be selling the 2nd generation PR ED spotting scope. Tom said that Pentax had been sold & did not know the availability of the PR scope. I guess that explains why Eagle Optics has been lowering their prices on Pentax spotting scopes/ eyepieces. I was hoping Eagle Optics would be selling the PR scope soon but now I wonder what Pentax products will be available ? Is this old news & I am just hearing about it now ? ...gwen

I was under the impression that Pentax was owned by Ricoh....and/or that the new Pentax scope was not going to be brought out despite the design concept released earlier. I could be wrong of course but I thought I remember discussion on this subject at some point over the last month or two.

Ricoh got them a few years ago, last Jan they closed out all of their riflescopes at the Shot Show. I was told by Ricoh they would keep most of the binoculars and would up-date some of the spotters.

Mike

Ricoh got them a few years ago, last Jan they closed out all of their riflescopes at the Shot Show. I was told by Ricoh they would keep most of the binoculars and would up-date some of the spotters.

Mike
Yes , I remember seeing that back in 2011. From talking with Tom at Eagle Optics today, I got the impression that there has been more recent developments regarding Pentax's product line with their eyepieces & spotting scopes being discontinued .... gwen.

Last edited:
Yes , I remember seeing that back in 2011. From talking with Tom at Eagle Optics today, I got the impression that there has been more recent developments regarding Pentax's product line with their eyepieces & spotting scopes being discontinued .... gwen.

Gwen, I'm afraid anything introduced from Ricoh/Pentax will be cheap offerings.

Its a shame Pentax has always been one of my favorite going way back.

I have had and have samples from all there binocular models they produced.
Never owned the premium IF models but, have peered through more than one.

Add to that I owned every eyepiece they produced!

Good stuff.

I might have to grab another 65 ed and add a xw20 just to have for keep sake,
the same thing I did with the Nikon 8x32 se.

Bryce...

Yep, stellar glass for sure, if not managed as well as it should have been.

Pentax SP and ED glass has always been the excellent glass that many have never heard of.

Gwen, I'm afraid anything introduced from Ricoh/Pentax will be cheap offerings.

Its a shame Pentax has always been one of my favorite going way back.

I have had and have samples from all there binocular models they produced.
Never owned the premium IF models but, have peered through more than one.

Add to that I owned every eyepiece they produced!

Good stuff.

I might have to grab another 65 ed and add a xw20 just to have for keep sake,
the same thing I did with the Nikon 8x32 se.

Bryce...
I agree, the little Pentax 65 ED is a gem with the XW20 eyepiece the most comfortable/enjoyable eyepiece I have ever used. I ordered 2 more XW20 eyepieces today, one for a spare & the other for the 2nd Brunton ICON 80mm spotting scope I have on order. I recently found out that the XW20 Pentax eyepiece is a perfect match when mounted permanently on the now discontinued Brunton ICON/Epoch spotting scopes. It would be a shame if Pentax's XW eyepieces become unavailable or the design changes. ..gwen

While I was on the phone with Tom today at Eagle Optics ordering a few of Pentax's XW eyepieces( Now Discontinued), I asked him if or when they might be selling the 2nd generation PR ED spotting scope. Tom said that Pentax had been sold & did not know the availability of the PR scope. I guess that explains why Eagle Optics has been lowering their prices on Pentax spotting scopes/ eyepieces. I was hoping Eagle Optics would be selling the PR scope soon but now I wonder what Pentax products will be available ? Is this old news & I am just hearing about it now ? ...gwen

This is interesting to hear. I'm not sure Tom had his story 100% straight. It sounds like there are some changes coming from Pentax relatively soon as a major portion of their current product line has been discontinued. We will find out more about the direction they are heading in when we go to the SHOT show next month, but I don't think they've been sold. Could very well be under new management though.

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
800-289-1132
www.eagleoptics.com

This is interesting to hear. I'm not sure Tom had his story 100% straight. It sounds like there are some changes coming from Pentax relatively soon as a major portion of their current product line has been discontinued. We will find out more about the direction they are heading in when we go to the SHOT show next month, but I don't think they've been sold. Could very well be under new management though.

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
800-289-1132
www.eagleoptics.com
Hi Ben ... Sold or not many here including myself sure would like to see the next generation of Pentax spotting scopes sold here in the states. It would be nice if Eagle Optics decides to stock/sell the new Pentax PR 65/80mm spotting scopes. My personal experience dealing with Eagle Optics has always been a positive one ... gwen

Pentax belongs to Hoya /Kenko ,or at least that was the big piece of news in the pentax dslr forums a few years back,dont know if their sports optics division was a separate branch but i imagine the whole brand was in the deal..Pentax USA sports optics division proved to me that their products experts had no clue,at all,about their products,.This happened in a couple of memorable conversations back in the days i owned the pentax scope(65) and the ed 8x32 ..I dont let any oportunity to nail their reputation pass because they upset me big time...both the scope and the binoculars,being ok,are considerably overpriced when compared with chinese offers that pretty much match in quality these lines,so it would not be surprising that pentax sports optics go to sleep as they could be the company that hurts more from the chinese competition...I now own a Kenko ultraview ex(yes,the famous sightron bs clone)and is very ,very similar to the pentax ED,regarding field of view and image quality,and although not as robust,it costs four times less...

Pentax belongs to Hoya /Kenko ,or at least that was the big piece of news in the pentax dslr forums a few years back,dont know if their sports optics division was a separate branch but i imagine the whole brand was in the deal...

Ricoh and Hoya picked out bIts and pieces of Pentax. Ricoh took cameras and sports optics, Hoya the more business/medical products. That's why Ben sells Ricoh and why my new Pentax XW eyepiece came in a Ricoh box 09/2014.

Which is worse?
A) Pentax executives/managers have not read this thread; or
B) Pentax executives/managers have read this thread and not responded after all this time.
In either case, it speaks volumes about Ricoh-Pentax commitment to the sport optic area.
Moreover, this silence makes me start to worry about the "Worry-Free Warranty" coverage on my Pentax scope….

Which is worse?
B) Pentax executives/managers have read this thread and not responded after all this time.
In either case, it speaks volumes about Ricoh-Pentax commitment to the sport optic area.
Moreover, this silence makes me start to worry about the "Worry-Free Warranty" coverage on my Pentax scope….
If they would just start selling their New next generation of spotting scopes in the USA, maybe it would help consumers confidence toward their commitment ... gwen

Gwen,

I recall Binomania introducing the New scope about 10 months ago (but nothing on the U.S. Pentax website). I also recall posting on BF the question (about 18 months ago), "What's new Pentax?" There was a paucity of response.

Now, I'm just speculating, but I fear the new scope was born just when Ricoh took over, there's no new production thereof, and they are just selling off old stocks of binoculars and scopes prior to pulling out of this market (ala Brunton). Time will tell….

Should that happen, I'd like to have Ricoh or Pentax or whomsoever step up to the plate and confirm the worry free nature of the warranty I paid for in my purchase price.

Michael

Which is worse?

For a factory getting involved on forums is a losing proposition, they will be expected to either answer questions they dont know the answer to (above pay grade), or answer questions they cant answer (also above pay grade).

Being on here is somewhat like a court deposition, you have to be very very careful or you do more damage than good. For most it's not worth it.

I don't know whether this is helpful or not, but this Pentax webstore website has a 2015 copyright date and it shows a number of PF 65 and PF 80 scopes along with a variety of eyepieces. Same with the binoculars.

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/category/sport-optics-spotting-scopes

Bob

PS: The website is operated by Brand Shop.http://brandshop.com/?gclid=CPKFm4ayiMMCFWVp7AodDl8AJw

There is a Russian Corporation with that name but it might be different. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Brandshop

Last edited:
For a factory getting involved on forums is a losing proposition, they will be expected to either answer questions they dont know the answer to (above pay grade), or answer questions they cant answer (also above pay grade).

Being on here is somewhat like a court deposition, you have to be very very careful or you do more damage than good. For most it's not worth it.

Take heed Gary, Mike, and Charles….

Gwen,

I recall Binomania introducing the New scope about 10 months ago (but nothing on the U.S. Pentax website). I also recall posting on BF the question (about 18 months ago), "What's new Pentax?" There was a paucity of response.

Now, I'm just speculating, but I fear the new scope was born just when Ricoh took over, there's no new production thereof, and they are just selling off old stocks of binoculars and scopes prior to pulling out of this market (ala Brunton). Time will tell….

Should that happen, I'd like to have Ricoh or Pentax or whomsoever step up to the plate and confirm the worry free nature of the warranty I paid for in my purchase price.

Michael

In anycase seems to me that there are enough scopes in the market ,in that price point and specifications,to be waiting for the release of a second best scope from a company which best scope is just about mid of the road/average.
And regarding the worry free warranty you can see that is not real,since you are already worrying about it

Take heed Gary, Mike, and Charles….

Jensen can handle it fine, hard to get above his pay grade. I have seen many others have to go on the defense way too often. I suspect the reps who are on here, do so because they truly enjoy what they are doing but I can assure you their life would be simpler not being on here.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back