• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird carvings (1 Viewer)

mark richards

United Kingdom
fed up with all this rain , thought i'd put some of my carvings here, for you to look at, i've been carving on and off for the last ten years,started back recently, because work commitments let me, i use lime wood for carving , and acrylic paints,for painting them .if anyone is interested in starting bird carving ,then feel free to e.mail me , or post here, for any questions, .

Attachments

• DSC_3913.jpg
    DSC_3913.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_3918.jpg
    DSC_3918.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_3919.jpg
    DSC_3919.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_3925.jpg
    DSC_3925.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_3927.jpg
    DSC_3927.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 183
Hello Mark, nice work.

I used to do a lot of woodcarving. Not nowadays due to arthritis and other joint problems. Most of my work was repro stuff in oak, walnut etc and mostly abstract rather than naturalistic. This was on a commercial basis to commission so not too many birds. Very rare for me to use any colour though apart from wood stains. You can see some of my work most days on tv. I did 600 odd linen fold panels for the palace of westminster.

Due to the difficulties of carving hardwoods I had to stop but as my joint pain seems to be easier to control I have recently decided to have another go but will now do more work in lime than hardwood.

For some inspiration I have bought the book Birds of Prey, an Artists Guide by Floyd Sholz. Do you know it?

Floyd Scholz , is renown as being one of the best raptor carvers in the world, if you do a search on the web you will find his site ,awesome. he also has a dvd on carving the american kestrel, which is a very very good dvd , he explains it very well bit by bit.
im sorry to hear about your hands roz, mark.

Excellent stuff Mark. As Tim says a welcome thread to the art subforum which should add a new dimension. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I've always fancied having a go at carving, especially since I bought the Floyd Scholtz book a few years ago. It's just something else that I don't have time for though!

Mike

another wow to add to the others, I had a go at carving polystyrene since the WWT had a thing on duck carving in their magazines (parents wouldn't let me play with tools and wood). Must try and have a go again now I'm all grown up! Excellent stuff, looking forward to seeing more.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back