• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Tripod (1 Viewer)

tc99mman

Hello Everyone,

I Am Looking For A High Quality Wooden Tripod For A "reasonable" Price For Telephotography, Digiscoping, Birding, Stargazing, With Various Telescopes, Giant Binoculars, And Camera Lens Combinations.
I Will Consider Used Equipment Or Being Directed To Some Retail/wholesale Vendor.

Thanks,

Tc99mman

Why on earth do you want a wooden one? No offence to you, but aluminium tripods are far and away superior, they're lighter and less cumbersome for starters!

I have no experience of using birding or astronomical scopes, but excessive experience using quite big medium format cameras.

A wooden tripod is often lighter than an equally rigid aluminum tripod, wood also dampens vibrations better than aluminum and are nice to hold in cold weather.

Carbon fiber tripods have the same properties, maybe they are a little more like aluminum to hold. They are also often more expensive.

May I introduce tripods from a little Swedish company that makes their tripods from Oak wood. I have no personal connection with the company, but I use one of their tripods and find it to be very good in practical usage.

Take a look at: http://www.stabil.nu/english/index.html

There are tripods with two or three leg sections, I own the short version of the Stabil Speed (with two leg sections) and use it with quite heavy medium format cameras with very small vibration problems that almost always were present with my Manfrotto 055 aluminum tripod.

On the Speed model, the leg lock moves together with the leg so this tripod is very fast to set up. What makes these tripods interesting is that the lowest leg is made of dural aluminum, this makes it resistant against damp and water if you place it in wet grass or something similar. Just as the site states, the cup shaped ends of the legs gives a very good grip, the plastic ends of the otherwise excellent Gitzo and Manfrotto are actually less than adequate in comparison.

This is not an advertisment for the Stabil just because they are Swedish, it is the resulting impression after years of searching for a tripod that, except for being light-weight and sturdy, also have to be nice to carry over the shoulder. I carry my camera attached to the tripod head and carry the whole setup with the tripod legs extracted on my shoulder just as you probably would do when carrying a scope. You can even comfortably place the tripod head on your shoulder with one leg in front of you and the other legs pointing backwards, the tripod head is flat against your shoulder.

What seems to be missing in the information on the site is that you can spread the legs at any angle you wish. There is a tension screw for each leg joint with the tripod head that is easily adjusted, see the picture of the macro tripod, you can see the lock handle just above the right leg: http://www.stabil.nu/english/makro.html
In this picture you can also see the leg cups a little better.

If you plan to contact the company I recommend mail, since this is a partial time business.

They are well-known at least in Sweden and probably also in Scandinavia, but perhaps not in the UK.

There is also an American maker of wood tripods, Ries, that looks good from specifications, you can find these at: http://www.riestripod.com/

I have never seen them so I cannot give any first-hand comments.

There is also a German maker, Berlebach, they have both light-weight but also some very heavy and sturdy models if that is what you are looking for: http://www.berlebach.de/

I have just seen these tripods once and they looked, well, good, but I found nothing special with their lighter models, the heavy UNI models are impressive but did not suit me.

I agree with Gunwald about the advantages of wood. B&H Photo stocked several brands the last time I looked. Eagle optics had one.

gunvald said:
There is also a German maker, Berlebach, they have both light-weight but also some very heavy and sturdy models if that is what you are looking for: http://www.berlebach.de/

I have tried one of their models for digiscoping and I really liked the ball joint for the central column, which allows you to balance the setup easily without playing with legs. A wooden tripod is a good idea.

Ilkka

Well, if built-in levelling is of interest, then I correct myself about the Berlebach tripods, since they have several versions with different types of levelling devices both with and without a center column. I assume that scope users might be more interested in a fluid head than a ball-head and then a built-in levelling device in the tripod head must be close to ideal.

From the Berlebach site I can see that they have expanded their product range since I checked them out a couple of years ago. From what I remember I found their build quality to be very, very good. What made me reject them at that time was that they have no hybrid tripods like Stabil, that combines the advantages of wood and aluminum, with vbration dampening upper wood legs and with lower legs of metal that are more resistant against water, dirt and damp.

Wood tripods need a little maintenance, but I find it a pleasure to better the varnish every now and then.

iporali said:
I have tried one of their models for digiscoping and I really liked the ball joint for the central column, which allows you to balance the setup easily without playing with legs. A wooden tripod is a good idea.

Ilkka

Dear Gunvald,

Many thanks for the information. I will contact the little Swedish company very soon. You understand why wooden tripods are likely the "supports of choice" for high magnification photography. I plan to try digiphotography as soon as I return from visiting Teotihuacan, the impressive archaeological site near Mexico City. So many interests, so little time!

Best,

TC99MMAN

gunvald said:
I have no experience of using birding or astronomical scopes, but excessive experience using quite big medium format cameras.

A wooden tripod is often lighter than an equally rigid aluminum tripod, wood also dampens vibrations better than aluminum and are nice to hold in cold weather.

Carbon fiber tripods have the same properties, maybe they are a little more like aluminum to hold. They are also often more expensive.

May I introduce tripods from a little Swedish company that makes their tripods from Oak wood. I have no personal connection with the company, but I use one of their tripods and find it to be very good in practical usage.

There are tripods with two or three leg sections, I own the short version of the Stabil Speed (with two leg sections) and use it with quite heavy medium format cameras with very small vibration problems that almost always were present with my Manfrotto 055 aluminum tripod.

On the Speed model, the leg lock moves together with the leg so this tripod is very fast to set up. What makes these tripods interesting is that the lowest leg is made of dural aluminum, this makes it resistant against damp and water if you place it in wet grass or something similar. Just as the site states, the cup shaped ends of the legs gives a very good grip, the plastic ends of the otherwise excellent Gitzo and Manfrotto are actually less than adequate in comparison.

This is not an advertisment for the Stabil just because they are Swedish, it is the resulting impression after years of searching for a tripod that, except for being light-weight and sturdy, also have to be nice to carry over the shoulder. I carry my camera attached to the tripod head and carry the whole setup with the tripod legs extracted on my shoulder just as you probably would do when carrying a scope. You can even comfortably place the tripod head on your shoulder with one leg in front of you and the other legs pointing backwards, the tripod head is flat against your shoulder.

What seems to be missing in the information on the site is that you can spread the legs at any angle you wish. There is a tension screw for each leg joint with the tripod head that is easily adjusted, see the picture of the macro tripod, you can see the lock handle just above the right leg: http://www.stabil.nu/english/makro.html

If you plan to contact the company I recommend mail, since this is a partial time business.

They are well-known at least in Sweden and probably also in Scandinavia, but perhaps not in the UK.

There is also an American maker of wood tripods, Ries, that looks good from specifications, you can find these at: http://www.riestripod.com/

I have just seen these tripods once and they looked, well, good, but I found nothing special with their lighter models, the heavy UNI models are impressive but did not suit me.

Its certainly worth a look. If I can buy an adequate tripod to $40, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But, you never know.
Thanks for the tip!

Screech said:
Check out Home Depot, I saw one for about 40 dollars not long ago. Used by contractors.

Wood Tripod Stabil Speed

Hello Gunvald,

I ordered the larger version of the Stabil Speed. The transaction was entirely via e-mail. I will let you know what I think of this tripod when it arrives.
Many thanks for the tip.
tc99mman

gunvald said:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back