• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking after my 8.5x42 Swaros (2 Viewers)

TonyS

I recently seroiusly upgraded by bins from Opticron Countryman bought at Birdfair in 1995 to Swaros 8.5x42 from Birdnet (secondhand but mint). I am absolutely delighted with them but am wondering how best to protect the lenses. The rainguard is in place and seems robust but the lens caps are impractical in the field I feel. The 'case' is too small really to take the bins with strap too. How do others look after their expensive optics?
These are my first top of the range bins and I want them to stay at their best.
TonyS

I have begun to use the rubberised lens covers and they work extremely well - not getting in the way at all. I first thought they would look, well - you know... but after seeing many in use, I've finally become used to them and feel they do their job admirably well. The rain guards are not, I find, as good as they first seem - they easily dislodge and, as you don't notice till it's too late, you end up with wet eyepiece lenses - a real pain.

I find no problem fitting the strap inside the case size-wise, but it is a real pain to do it and, as the straps have to be put inside, too, I always think there's a risk of dropping the binoculars in the prosess.

How do I do it? Well, I wrap the "Swarovski" name part of the strap across the two objective lenses then fold the rest in. In truth, I think the case is something of a disgrace for such a pricey binocular. It would be far better if the straps could be left outside of the case, for example. I would also like some form of padding or better protection from the case instead of a single layer of nylon.

Last edited:
I always felt a bit like 'Pikey' from 'Dad's Army' with those objective lens covers flapping about!!

So I often don't use them - BUT when photographing things like butterflies or dragonflies very low down these flaps come into their own by preventing something really nasty happening to the front lenses as the bins swing forward when you get down to ground level

I dumped the objective lens caps on my 10x42 el's ...they're off putting in many ways but I have heard that objective lens caps can promote fungal growth (how true that is, i don't know). I don't mind the rain guard as long as you give it some slack so it falls back along the strap a reasonable distance. Mine have never seen the inside of the swaro' bino bag (more like a washbag)...they go everywhere naked and are in excellent condition after 3 years.

I agree, the case is really rubbish, considering how expensive the 'bins are. The lens covers do not stay on at all, I figure the material expands in really hot weather (it is always hot here), and they are really loose. Whilst I am really happy with the optics, Swaro should take a page out of Zeiss' book to learn what good covers and cases are all about.

I think the lens covers are brilliant. I can put the bins on a car seat while driving without having to worry that if they fall onto the floor the objectives will get scratched to bits.

It seems that Zeiss have copied them on the new Victory FL line.

Yes the Swaro case is not so good.

Chuck the case, its not worth the material its made from. Home made case constructed from close cell foam sleep mat (camping mat) and duck tape is by far the best. Just looks like a squashed tin of beans without a lid, slightly deeper than the bins so to protect the eyepieces and have room for the strap (if you worry about things like that. Easy to use, the bins are ready for use in an instant and you dont have to worry about them bouncing about in the footwell of the car or Landrover etc. I have fashioned these cases for all my optics, camera's and lenses and have never had a problem. I usually use black Duck Tape or if silver, a black permanent marker afterwards. Works a treat !!

Spuggie.

Wrap your straps around the tubes then put in case,no problem.I actually use a Lowe made case which is padded and is excellent as carrying case as well.And only cost a tenner.
John

Leif said:
I think the lens covers are brilliant. I can put the bins on a car seat while driving without having to worry that if they fall onto the floor the objectives will get scratched to bits...
I'm with you, Leif on that. I often leave them on the back seat and - with the lens covers in place - no longer fear damage or dirt.

spuggie said:
I have fashioned these cases for all my optics, camera's and lenses and have never had a problem... Spuggie.
I have thought of lining a sport's bag with that foam to make a safe bag for my whole kit - it would save the usual forgetting of this or that as I seem often to do (bins here, scope there, tripod elsewhere, hide clamp lost, bird book on shelf, gloves in a drawer ... ... ...).

Last edited:
I want to stitch together a snug fitting material bag with zip for some of my bins....any suggestions on materials?

I just bought Swaro 8.5x42 El's as I had a credit note from Warehouse Express. I bought them blind ( tried the 32's ) which is always risky, just based on reviews and comments of people on the Forum ( like Steve - thanks mate ! ) and so far have been absolutely chuffed with them and know I have made the right choice. I am glad I did not let Birdwatching Mags review put me off - the thumb grooves are NOT sharp and the focus wheel is not as bad as made out when focussing from horizon to near, certainly not in practical birding usage. Of course they had to make sure the Ultravids came first.....

Like you Tony I dont want anything untoward happening to these babies, and I use the objective covers, once I could stretch them on ! They are not so bad as long as they hang downwards when uncupped !!!

I bought the Multi Function bag, which is a rip off at £39 for a neoprene "sock" however, it is better than the shaving bag that comes with the bins, and its allows you to use the bins strap as the main harness. Not too easy to pull out the bins in time to catch a fleeting glimpse of that lifer that just flew past I am afraid !!

Dont like the sound of fungal growth, but after my experience of Leica optics I am not taking any chances and will keep the lids on when not in use, at least outdoors anyway.

Best wishes,

Lindsay

Glad you're happy - they are knockout bins. You know, I can't see any fungus ever growing on the lenses, Lindsay, and if it does, I reckon it's a guarantee job as they are deemed waterproof and nitrogen purged. I'll look into that "multifunction" bag as the nylon case is, as you suggest, almost a waste of time.

I think I'd better try and persist with the lens caps after all and not feel so self conscious. Like you said Lindsay, anything to look after the 'babies'. Actually I do feel like a new parent with them at the moment but give it 6 months and I'll have settled down. I need to christen them next with a darn good tick....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back