• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon tripod heads (1 Viewer)

marek_walford

Hi,

I have a Velbon Sherpa 450 tripod with a Velbon PH-157Q head. This combination was perfectly fine until recently. The head seems to have developed a bit of give in that unless it is tightly locked it moves a few milimetres up and down. This makes it difficult to pan from side to side as it will also move slightly up and down.

I hope this description of the problem makes sense. I've taken the head apart and put it back together and that didn't help. Can anybody offer some advice on a decent head for use with my tripod. I don't want to spend a fortune, it needs to be fairly light and not develop the problem I have.

Many thanks,
Marek Walford

http://www.berksbirds.co.uk

I've been using the lightweight ph157q head on a Velbon sherpa pro5300 for well over a year (heavy digiscoping use).... I like the head and if it started to show simialr problems to yours I'd buy another as they are quite cheap.

My previous head was a Slik D3, wich should fit on a velbon 'pod without problems and is a great head. The ubiquitous Manfrotto 128 fluid head struggles to fit on my Velbon pod, not that I'd want one. Velbon 'pods seem to have extra long screws to fit into the head.... o.k. with some heads, not with others (unless you get a hacksaw out).
Andy B

Thanks Andy.

I got a replacement PH-175Q. I was very happy with it until it developed a fault but I wasn't keen on getting the same one if they are known to develop this problem. It was especially annoying when digiscoping as a 3-4mm give was multiplied by twenty!

I have no connection with Ace Optics (Bath) etc. but they were superb and sent me a new head by recorded delivery which arrived the next day. Especially important as I'm off to Norfolk tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Marek

http://www.berksbirds.co.uk

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back