• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angled or straight eyepiece (1 Viewer)

Roger S.

Hi,
I am in the early stages of thinking about buying a scope. I was wondering what is the most popular, angled or straight eyepiece.

I have had the chance to look through both ,from other birders scopes, but have not yet formed a preference yet .Is there any pro's and cons I should bear in mind.
I am 6 ft tall if this make a difference.

cheers
Roger.

See the following threads for previous discussions of this issue:

<here>, <here>, <here> and <here>

There's probably a few more as well, but I got bored with hyperlinks!

As I've stated elsewhere, I'm now a fan of angled having recently switched, but others differ. I guess your height means an angled is better suited, but can't comment from 5'8'' !

The real answer is to try them both out in the field, and see what you can and can't get on with.

Hope this helps,

I don't think there is any difference between them optically - it's just down to personal preference.

Some people think it's easier to with view a straight through scope but it's just as quick and easy with an anlged once you have the feel for it.

For hide use and novice users I think a straight scope is better, but for general use and digiscoping (gravity helps hold camera in place on eyepiece) and especially if a little taller or where several people might use the one scope, angled is a better option.

I have always used angled scope and wouldn't swap. The only occasions I can think of where a straight one would be better is in busy hides and when peering over tall grass - you see what you want with binos but without a good bit of alteration, the scope isn't quite high enough.

Thanks for your reply's and links.
It seems angled is best except in hides. But I will have to try more of both before I make up my mind.
Many Thanks.

Just want to emphasize the point made earlier - if people of differing heights will be using the scope at the same time, angled is MUCH better. In fact, just about a necessity.

probaly about 9 out of 10 scopes are angled. once you're used to the 'aiming' when looking at birds, they are a dream to use.

easier on the neck
better for those tree top birds
digiscoping advantages

still try before you buy, and think about what type of birding you will mainly use the scope for.

I will be using it for 2 main local places which are a large harbour with only one hide ,so I will mainly be in the open, and a flooded water meadow which are mainly hides. Plus places I visit ,but mainly with those two in mind.

i still think you would be more suited to an angled scope. i would definetly try both models though, as it's your cash at the end of the day.

next time your out and about, ask to have a quick go of another birders scope. although you will realise that most prefer angled scope's, and you may not even see a straight scope out there for quite a while, they are pretty rare!

I started out with a straight and because i do a lot of birding from a hide, i thought i'd always stick with straight. Moved to angled because there was a second hand scope on offer, which saved my girlfriend and i quite a bit of cash, but it was angled. Wasn't sure about it. Didn't think i'd get used to it, but i have, and would never go back to straight.

On a tripod, angled is far, far better - no more having to bend my knees. It is much easier - especially as we have the scope set quite low - my girlfriend being a good six inches shorter.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back