• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grebe Needs Mate! (1 Viewer)

harrislr

Pied-Bill Grebe Needs Mate!

We have a single grebe on our small pond. He/she has been there for about two months. I believe it is a young adult or a juvenille. We love having him/her but I feel so sorry for it. It swims around all day with no other grebes around. I don't know how it got here. We live near Wilmington, NC. Does anyone know how I can get this little guy/gal a mate? I tried to find a site where I can purchase a grebe but I found nothing. Also, how do I tell the sex of this grebe given the fact that its shy and I don't see myself getting too close. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
harrislr said:
We have a single grebe on our small pond. He/she has been there for about two months. I believe it is a young adult or a juvenille. We love having him/her but I feel so sorry for it. It swims around all day with no other grebes around. I don't know how it got here. We live near Wilmington, NC. Does anyone know how I can get this little guy/gal a mate? I tried to find a site where I can purchase a grebe but I found nothing. Also, how do I tell the sex of this grebe given the fact that its shy and I don't see myself getting too close. Any help would be appreciated.
When it gets the urge, or winter makes itself known, it may well move on. It will find its own made when the time arrives. I don't know about the site fidelity of the species or whether they are normally on small ponds.

harrislr said:
Rest assured your Grebe will find a mate, maybe next Spring, Keep us Posted OK?

Hi, harrislr! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Don't worry, the grebe (do you know which species it is?) is just doing what comes naturally. You're lucky you get to watch one so consistently. Try not to disturb it and perhaps it will return in the spring and raise a family there. :t:

Pied-bill Grebe

Katy Penland said:
Hi, harrislr! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Don't worry, the grebe (do you know which species it is?) is just doing what comes naturally. You're lucky you get to watch one so consistently. Try not to disturb it and perhaps it will return in the spring and raise a family there. :t:

Its a pied-bill grebe. We have a hurricane coming our way and it was very windy yesterday. He (or she) was really bouncing around on the pond. I haven't seen it at all today. I'll be very sad if it goes away but I'll be glad that it won't be lonely anymore. I will keep you posted.

We get many single waterbirds in my corners .Recent loners have included mute swan,hooded merganser and coot. I've always thought these are immature individuals that are pushed out from the breeding population. It does make one concerned about lake of specie companionship.
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back