• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bright red creature I came across.... (1 Viewer)

birdyman

Hi, I'm living in Amsterdam and in my local nearby park I came across these little bright red creatures. They're about 1 to 3 mm big/small and they moved around on/in the soil. Can anyone identify them?

Many thanx ;)

Attachments

• redbug.jpg
    redbug.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 209
birdyman said:
Hi, I'm living in Amsterdam and in my local nearby park I came across these little bright red creatures. They're about 1 to 3 mm big/small and they moved around on/in the soil. Can anyone identify them?

Many thanx ;)

Hello Birdyman,
They are a species of 'Mite' which I cannot identify as to species. These are quite common in gardens, or at least common in my garden and readily visible against dark soil. some of the specimens I have seen, seem to be even larger than yours being about 5mm in length.

I think your really going to need the help of a 'Mite' expert here, the problem is finding one.

Harry

Hello,
I have a lot of these here and have them down as Red Earth Mite (Trombidium holocericeum) - but don't quote me!

Jen :)

Red velvet mite (Family Thrombidiidae)

Hi Birdyman,
We have these fellas here in South Africa as well - probably same family but different species. As far as I know they are members of the velvet mite family (Thrombidiidae) - and are known here as Red velvet mite. Here they typically emerge from the ground after the rains. They remain in the soil most of the year and only spend a few hours above ground, probably to feast on other prey which also emerge in great numbers after rain. Here the larvae are known to be parasitic on grasshoppers, whilst the adults feed on subteranean termites. Lots of the latter here, but I guess you don't have termites in Europe?

Whatever - they are beautiful creatures, especially on a dark soil background. Unlike other mites they are not a problem at all to humans. Despite or perhaps because of their bright colour they do not seem to be preyed on by any birds that I am aware of.

Hope that this helps? Numzaan

hi birdyman they are harvest bug ( TROMBIDIUM HOLOSERICEUM )

Adult harvest bugs are non parasitic, but the larvae, known as chiggers,
are vertebrate parasites and can cause severe itching. the adult is covered in red hairs
that create the appearance of velvet

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back