• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best county for birding. (1 Viewer)

Devon, Devon, Devon ...best birding, best countryside, best weather and, all in all, not a bad locality for twitching too ...handy for Scillies and all South West, twitches elsewhere - shoot up the M5, see the scummy lands beyond the Devon border ;) then return to realise why Devon is the best place in all the UK ...says me :)

I'm quite happy with Durham.
Plus, if you ever get bored with it, you've got Teesside and Northumberland within easy reach.
Plenty of good birds to be seen up here.
B :)

fr0sty said:
MMMMMMMMM........

No mention of Dorset. We've got vaired and mixed habitat with a great mix of resident and migrant birds with the potential for rairities.

A bit like Hampshire really, but smaller and without the New Forest. ;)

Very happy where I live now,with migrants,coastal birds,breeding terns,raptors coming down from the hills and woods,but ,if I really could choose,it would be a remote island of the Scottish coast.A cottage away from all other humans,no cars,no noise,just myself and the birds.Might just invite hubby and the dog for the odd weekend!!!

Would I be flogged if I said Cochise and Pima Counties, Arizona, USA? ;) Mountains, desert, grasslands, hummers, hummers and more hummers...

Katy, you are pretty brave to "step in here"!

Also, if I gave my favorite county it would be as foreign to Brits as those places mentioned in the thread are to this Yank! ;)

Larry Lade said:
Also, if I gave my favorite county it would be as foreign to Brits as those places mentioned in the thread are to this Yank! ;)

Your quite right - and no Norfolk isn't the one in VA :t:

Jos Stratford said:
Devon, Devon, Devon ...best birding, best countryside, best weather and, all in all, not a bad locality for twitching too ...handy for Scillies and all South West, twitches elsewhere - shoot up the M5, see the scummy lands beyond the Devon border ;) then return to realise why Devon is the best place in all the UK ...says me :)

The best thing to come out of Devon? The road to Cornwall. ;) But then, I would say that!

What! No mention of Kent? Canterbury cathedral is MUCH better than Truro's or Norwich's and whilst I like Coventry, it just isn't a patch on the 'real thing'. Oh, sorry wrong forum!

Actually, I think Kent does give Norfolk a 'good run for it's money'. I like people (and hope the feeling's mutual), but many sites in Norfolk can feel a bit crowded. I love Cornwall too, but I'm told that passage periods apart it can be a bit quiet. I'd also put Dorset very high in the rankings, John

east Norfolk's the place John!
but don't tell everyone

fewer people - even on a day like today many areas will not have a single birder
better birds
more chance of finding stuff
year round birding
loads of birders in Norwich

I walked past Norwich cathedral at 02:30 on Sat morning and found it rather spectacular ;)

Tim

Aberdeenshire hasn't had much of a mention yet. It's really rather good though:

Rarities at all seasons turning up all over the place
Not many birders and better chances of finding things
Good birding even in Aberdeen
Terrific breeding birds
Varied habitats
Nice architecture, if you like granite

John Cantelo said:
What! No mention of Kent? Canterbury cathedral is MUCH better than Truro's or Norwich's and whilst I like Coventry, it just isn't a patch on the 'real thing'. Oh, sorry wrong forum!

Actually, I think Kent does give Norfolk a 'good run for it's money'. I like people (and hope the feeling's mutual), but many sites in Norfolk can feel a bit crowded. I love Cornwall too, but I'm told that passage periods apart it can be a bit quiet. I'd also put Dorset very high in the rankings, John

As a Man of Kent I'd have to agree ;) - I also think Dorset both in terms of a place to live and in terms of birding should rate highly. Wouldn't mind an island croft somewhere off the West Coast of Scotland though...

Richard

Larry Lade said:
Katy, you are pretty brave to "step in here"!

In case any North Americans are looking. I will list Ohio's Erie and Ottawa counties.Both located in the Northwest corner of the state.They are the last and first US lands birds find next to Lake Erie on their way in and out of Canada.Both areas contain the remnents of The Great Black Swamp and are rich in foods and shelter for migrants.
Sam

Brant County Ontario, fail that, in the UK, where I live in Cheshire, or The Lakes and coastal Devon

senatore said:
If you could afford to have a second property ,as a birder, which county would you choose to have this abode.

For me ,as a fairly new birder with not that much experience of many places, it would have to be Norfolk which seems to "get" every bird.

MAX>

Last edited:
Aberdeenshire beats Norfolk--Capercaillie, Ptarmigan, Golden Eagle etc. The only birds that they get that I haven't seen up here are Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Nuthatch. We've got Belted Kingfisher as well--beat that!!!!

I like living in Norfolk, but if and I say if I had the money and the right property came up for sale, I would buy a place in the Yorkshire Dales.
Preferably in upper Wharfedale if possible.

Katy Penland said:
Would I be flogged if I said Cochise and Pima Counties, Arizona, USA? ;) Mountains, desert, grasslands, hummers, hummers and more hummers...

I would have to say I love the areas of Napa, Marin and Sonoma Counties in California, USA. Wetlands, Oceans/Bays, Woodlands, Grasslands, raptor migration, unusual sea birds, it just has a great diversity.

But I have to say anywhere that I go birdwatching is where I want to be!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back