• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats This Ring (1 Viewer)

norman

The barn owl in the pictures has been flying about my local village for about 3 months.It has what looks like a thick anodised metal ring on the left leg.Has anyone seen aring like this before.

Attachments

• bnowl2b.jpg
    bnowl2b.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 182
  • bnowl2.jpg
    bnowl2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 162
Its not a normal BTO ring. I know that there are many people that breed and release Barn owls into the wild, as I have heard discussions of how few of them probably survive. This may be a ring that someone has put on a bird that they released. The fact that its flying around your village during the day, might suggest that this is the case.

Tom

Norman,

This was once someones 'pet'. :(

The ring is not BTO.

Yes Katy, the left leg/foot does look significantly larger (more swollen) than the other.

Andy.

Awwwww, the poor thing. Could someone report this bird so that it could be trapped and that ring removed before it loses its foot/leg or it dies? What a shame. |=(|

Hi Norman,

I agree with Tom and Andrew, this poor bird has been in captivity and is obviously at great risk. Are you in Cleveland England or Cleveland Ohio? If in the UK I know a man who may be able to help. It would also be well worth sending your photographs and details of this bird to The Barn Owl Trust. http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/

Last edited:
"It has what looks like a thick anodised metal ring on the left leg.Has anyone seen aring like this before."

That actually looks like the remnants of a leather jess.

Regards

Malky

Thanks everyone the legs look the same size on other photographs,the ring is too thick for leather jesses also it has a dull shine like anodised metal.

"the ring is too thick for leather jesses"
Don't think so!

"also it has a dull shine like anodised metal."
So does polished leather, as in new jesses, and the photo's show only a part of, and it would be in the correct position for said.
There are new style jesses on the market, which are a lot narrower than the wide plain leather with the eyelets.

Regards

Malky

Whereas the population of wild Barn Owls in Britain has decreased by an estimated 70% since 1932, the captive population has increased dramatically and has been estimated at a staggering 24,000 - three times the size of the wild population. The sale of rings for captive Barn Owls showed a 600% increase between 1983 and 1990 and in addition large numbers of captive birds are not fitted with closed rings. It is therefore not uncommon, as you know, for birds to get in to the wrong hands and for irresponsible owners to release Barn Owls in to the wild (even though this illegal act can result in a £5000 fine).

The more I think about Norman’s owl the more puzzled I become. If it is a captive bird, and everything points to that, I would not have expected it to survive in the wild for much more than a week and yet Norman has seen it around his village for the past three months. One would therefore assume that it is hunting and fending pretty well for itself. The foot is a worry however and, if swelling due to the tightness of the ring, action needs to be taken. Might the RSPCA help? I know they catch swans but I guess a Barn Owl may be a touch more challenging!

Whatever. The 'ring' looks very tight and is probably causing the Owl problems. It needs checking out by a vet or falconer. Tim

I know the owl has been reported to the local owl centre,but they suggested that the person who reported it try to catch it themselves.Also if the owl cant be proved to be an escape ithink it would be illegal to try and trap it without a liscence.

Well if its a captive bird then why not go along to your local falconer and explain the situation i'm sure he/she would understand and lend you a glove and a few mice if this happens try to find the owl at dusk before it goes hunting as this is when it will be most Hungry

Hopefully some good news. The Barn Owl Trust have provided me with the contact details of a man in Yorkshire who works in the field of Barn Owl conservation and may be able to take appropriate action. I shall pass on these details to Norman.

I have had areply from the barn owl trust who have contacted someone local to investigate,the problem is I checked with the locals and the owl hasn't been seen since last Tuesday.

norman said:
I have had areply from the barn owl trust who have contacted someone local to investigate,the problem is I checked with the locals and the owl hasn't been seen since last Tuesday.

Not good news! As you are obviously on the case I'll leave it with you Norman. Good luck mate!

It's perfectly possible that it's a wild bird that an amateur has rung in the nest with whatever rings they had to hand. They may have even been a barn owl breeder and had the right sized rings. The foot seems to be ok, as it isn't being held differently.

As for flying in the day, most barn owls are at this time of year, as they're feeding young.

Captive-bred barn owls need to be close-rung with an identifiable alloy ring (bearing a code) if the are to be sold etc (and it's in the breeder's interest to do this as it proves to a certain extent that they're caprive bred), but it is also legal to hold birds that aren't close-ringed. This isn't a standard closed-ring though. It does look like an anodised metal ring to me. The bird looks in decent nick though, so I'm not convinced it's a recent release/escape.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back