• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Otis tarda rediscovered in Greece! (1 Viewer)

Dimitris

Birdwatcher in Oz
Well not smashing newslike the Ivory-billed Woodie.But great news non the less:

http://www.ornithologiki.gr/gr/sppe/caretakers/newsletter_02.htm

scroll down to see pics.(I don't know if these are the Greek birds)

In short:

"Otis tarda reisdcovered at Thessalikos valley.There were also some reports from the Karlas lake area but were not confirmed.The species was thought to have vanished from Greece in 1980 at least as a breeder.It is not known if the birds found are breeders or winter visitors.However locals report that the birds are breeding though nests are rare"

The rest of the text is about it's habitat/threats etc.A group will be watching the birds ,if they stay, throught spring and summer.

Well if things as large as Otis tarda can go unoticed who knows what else might be hiding?

The page also contains info on what threatens Greek birds (number 1 reason:Shooting...number 2:Habitat destruction) and info on the last wetland in Attica "Skinia" which I will be visiting this weekend if all goes well!(reports from this area include:Great-white Herons,Ferruginous Ducks,Spotted Eagles (both(?)species),Purple Herons,Great Bitterns and Glossy Ibis plus many Waders.)

Hope this is informative!

Dimitris

Brilliant news, but how did they manage to miss the Great Bustards wondering around, who know you may have some Ivory Billed Woodies hiding out their as well.

Hi Dimitris

despite living not all that far away from that area for a year my Greek language skills have somewhat deserted me and i can't make much sense from that article!

are these new birds though rather than a 'rediscovery' of population that has always been there?

Having taken 5 hours to locate a single Great Bustard on la Serena in Spain - I think the largest population in Europe, I reckon these things could hide in your garden and you would miss them! Unless the males are doing their "sheep on distant hills" impression, they are invisible!

great white herons live in greece???

i thought they where a subspecies of great blue heron, which is a strictly new world bird

maersk said:
great white herons live in greece???

i thought they where a subspecies of great blue heron, which is a strictly new world bird

The Great white Heron in Greece is Egretta alba or the Great Egret and not the same bird as the new world Great White Heron

Gwynn

Great news on the Great Bustards, the are wonderful birds to watch even if my wife says they look like big chickens!!

Gwynn

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Dimitris

despite living not all that far away from that area for a year my Greek language skills have somewhat deserted me and i can't make much sense from that article!

are these new birds though rather than a 'rediscovery' of population that has always been there?

Hey Tim,lol! ;)

Well they are not sure,it could be either.They could be migrants (If so were on earth did they come from?) or as the old residents say (The youth dosen't know the bird...) the birds were always there (hence a 'rediscovery'. of a population that was always there) and even breeding.Note that the Otis tarda was once upon a time quite common in Greece (common story in most of Europe sadly...).The species was thought to have vanished from Greece around 1980.Reports from the residents were dismised 'cause the bird was thought to have "died" out.

Gwynn said:
The Great white Heron in Greece is Egretta alba or the Great Egret and not the same bird as the new world Great White Heron

Gwynn

'Great White Heron' is in fact Ardea herodius (a white morph of the Great Blue). Previously thought to be a full species Ardea occidentalis.

Luke

Great news for the Bustards.

I hope Greece will start intensive conservation effort similar to ones in Germany and Hungary, otherwise they will be soon gone - again and for good.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back