• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Eastbourne/East sussex (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

I have meetings in Eastbourne this Weds/Thursday. what about currently, and where are good places to look. always like finding my own migrants if there are any good spots. Any chances of Poms through?
Thanks!

PLease PM if the info sensitive! :t:

I have meetings in Eastbourne this Weds/Thursday. what about currently, and where are good places to look. always like finding my own migrants if there are any good spots. Any chances of Poms through?
Thanks!

PLease PM if the info sensitive! :t:

Hi Marcus

There are plenty of good places around Eastbourne. How much time will you have and will you have a car? There have been Poms around. Best place to view them is from the cliffs at the west end of town, towards Beachy Head. Walk along the seafront or get the bus to St Bedes School at the far end of town. This is the start of the South Downs Way. Follow any of the paths. This whole area is very good for incoming migrants. Whitbread Hollow is especially good. Cow Gap too. If you keep walking you will get to Beachy Head.

If you'll have a car let me know and I'll point you in the direction of some further afield good places.

This site you might find helpful, click on 'recent sightings':

www.sos.org.uk

Joanne

Hi Marcus

There are plenty of good places around Eastbourne. How much time will you have and will you have a car? There have been Poms around. Best place to view them is from the cliffs at the west end of town, towards Beachy Head. Walk along the seafront or get the bus to St Bedes School at the far end of town. This is the start of the South Downs Way. Follow any of the paths. This whole area is very good for incoming migrants. Whitbread Hollow is especially good. Cow Gap too. If you keep walking you will get to Beachy Head.

If you'll have a car let me know and I'll point you in the direction of some further afield good places.

This site you might find helpful, click on 'recent sightings':

www.sos.org.uk

Joanne

Thanks Joanne.
I am lucky enough to have the car for this trip!
Marcus

Marcus

If the weather conditions are right, 2 of the best places to see Pomarine Skuas (and seawatching in general) from the East Sussex coastline are Birling Gap, towards the western end of the Beachy Head area, and Splash Point at the eastern end of Seaford. If the weather conditions are right - ideally light SE winds (but I have seen Pomarine Skuas in all sorts of odd conditions depending upon what's happening further down the channel) and a bit of haze - both these locations will be covered.

For migrants, try the gardens at Birling Gap, the small wood and surrounding scrub at Belle Tout, the scrub at Shooter's Bottom and the areas of scrub around the bends on the very top of the head. Whitbread Hollow and Cow Gap need a lot of work to get the best from them. Keep trying - not all migrants turn up at dawn.

The forecast for Thursday is quite promising (southerly winds) which is handy as I'm down there this weekend).

Last edited:
As you'll have a car another really great place is Horseshoe Plantation. Driving towards Birling Gap from Eastbourne, there is a clump of trees on the left, easily seen from the road because there are no other clumps of trees along the road that leads off the 259 towards Birling Gap. It's only a short walk from the carpark . It is very sheltered and close enough to the sea to be a great resting place for migrants.

If you have at least half a day Cuckmere Haven is worth a visit too. Walk down either side of the river, west side is usually (but not always) best. Park in the car park of the Golden Galleon.

As Patrick says, Splash Point at Seaford is good for a seawatch and also seeing the kittiwake colony. Easy to find; go to Seaford and go as far as the cliffs, right at the end.

You're coming to Sussex at a pretty good time; there's quite a lot around now.

Joanne

Last edited:
The winds seem stuck to South for a blow for a couple of days. in terms of time I would imagine I have dawn on Thrusday to see what I can!
Thanks for the replies - additionally I am more than likely to have the camera if there are any reliable spots - don't forget stuff like spoonbill, nightingale and hobby are semi rares for us from t'North!

Ahhh. I'm doing a seawatch on Sunday at Splash Point and hoping for Poms too. There has been lots arriving. Oddly an easterly wind is forecast so maybe even some unusual customers will turn up.

Joanne

I am attending a conference in Eastbourne on 21-23 July. Any suggestions as to areas to visit and what I might see would be welcome.

TIA

David

I am attending a conference in Eastbourne on 21-23 July. Any suggestions as to areas to visit and what I might see would be welcome.

TIA

David

We've got some good places David. Will you have a car? Beachy Head and west is good, some of what I say will be car dependent, some doable by bus.

From the seafront walk or get a bus west to the end by St Bedes School. This is the beginning of the South Downs Way. The path goes along the coast, excellent at migration times but will probably be a bit quiet at the end of July. Depending on how much time you have I think I would take a day and go to Cuckmere Haven. Get the number 12 bus, which goes to Brighton and get off either at the Seven Sisters Visitors Centre or The Golden Galleon pub at Exceat. From the visitor centre stop the path will take you down the east side of the River CUckmere and the Golden galleon stop will take you down the west side to beach. Both can be good but the east side is more crowded with people so best not to do that on a weekend. The west side route is longer.

As to what you are likely to see: peregrines nest not far to the west, kittiwakes and fulmars too at Splash point which is a bit fruther west at Seaford. Rock pipits like the beach and various waders along the river....could get any passage migrant if you're lucky or even a passing through osprey.

Thanks Joanne

It looks like I may have to get an early morning flight to Gatwick on the 21st and will have the rest of that day free. I am from East Lothian so the species you mentioned are not so exciting as some of your southern specialities to me. I know I'll have no chance of Lesser Spot or Nightingale but hopefully there will still be a Hobby or two around. Does Cuckmere have a website?

Thanks again

David

In the end I didn't go birding, drizzle then pouring so went to the pub instead, but as I am due back in October I hope to do so then.

Thanks

David

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back