• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the mule or other carrier? (1 Viewer)

da2m

can someone please help me. i have seen the mule in birdwatching mag and think that it looks like a great idea. however it does seem expensive. can anyone
recommend something that does the same. i currently use a ruck sack to carry my scope and tripod in but i have to attach the scope to the tripod everytime i want to use it and i don't want to carry my scope by a strap because thety are combersome?

I have The Mule bought recently from Cleyspy & can thoroughly recommend it & there service - I ordered & paid for it online & received it the following day - As for price this is one of the cheaper ones - The Manfrotto bucket backpack is £149.95!

Regards Bish. :t:

cheers bish. by the way, your link to the concern for swift site, it showed a swift box. well i made one yersterday and cant wait to pit it up. good spot

hi there, just wondering ... an alternate and maybe cheaper option is perhaps to keep the rucksack you have and use a "quick-fit plate" (though i'm sure there is a proper technical term for it) that attaches / unattaches your scope & tripod quickly ... (?)

Karl J said:
hi there, just wondering ... an alternate and maybe cheaper option is perhaps to keep the rucksack you have and use a "quick-fit plate" (though i'm sure there is a proper technical term for it) that attaches / unattaches your scope & tripod quickly ... (?)

Almost right Karl, the technical term is quick release plate and even if tripod doesn't feature this you can get attachments to turn your tripod head into a quick release head

personally I would avoid these tripod carriers as they position the scope where you cannot see it. If seconds are at stake then you're taking your birding toooooo serious

thanx karl but my scope doesnt have a quick release like my old one. i have just been onto the cleyspy site and brought one son i will keep you posted.

da2m said:
thanx karl but my scope doesnt have a quick release like my old one. i have just been onto the cleyspy site and brought one son i will keep you posted.

You won't be disappointed

The main plus point I find is the ease of carrying your scope comfortably & being able to use your bins at the same time - also you can still fold your tripod legs in & carry it over your shoulder for short distances or overgrown paths/woods - the best of both worlds.....

I'm glad you liked the Swift website link & have made a nest box - they need all the help they can get - I have had them nest at my house under the soffit on the NW & SE sides!

Regards Bish. :t:

Been using the Mule aka Scopack for about 3 years. Wouldn't be without it and the latest version comes with a bag for your bits and water bottle. Am sorely tempted to upgrade (but that's my problem)

I also use the Scopack very good then you can always have your scope with you bit sweaty in the summer but cant have everything.

hi fellas
i got my mule today and fixed it to my pod. wow it is amazing how light is all feels. i can't wait to test it outside. i just have to put up with the funn looks now.

Are there any differences between the scopac and mule - apart from £10 of course?

I see that Viking have also brought out a scope carrier which costs £79.95 and it looks the same as the others to me.

Rich.

Richard Scott said:
Are there any differences between the scopac and mule - apart from £10 of course?

I see that Viking have also brought out a scope carrier which costs £79.95 and it looks the same as the others to me.

Rich.

The tenner gets you a detachable bag/pouch with a main compartment a pocket for mobile/GPS and a water bottle holder

well i have finally got to use my mule. wow. how did i ever manage before. i used to use a rucksak which was so much hassle. it really doesnt feel like i have anything on my back. and i still have my hands free to use my bins and move quitely around.
if your thinking of getting one, then do. you will not regret it.

Quacker said:
SO bins, scope and pod sorted, what about DSLR & lenses?

Aye, I know, I'm still looking...
ahhhhh, i've got that one covered. i have a great mobile phone with a cracking camera. i can just line it up and shoot my little heart out.
heres one of my first wheatear this year. quite good i thought. you can also see this at www.dawlishwarren.co.uk/lastestsightings

Attachments

• 1st n wheatear06.jpg
    1st n wheatear06.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 209
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back