• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

Smew at Longham

Found a redhead smew tonight at Longham lake! Hope it doesn't stay too long and become plastic!
Chris

Attachments

• P1020082.jpg
    P1020082.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 63
@Wendy -- I haven't got a proper record; I reported it on Birdguides at the time but don't have a sub so can't check the exact date. But looking back at some emails, it was probably towards the end of July rather than now.

longham lake today

Smew was present at 9am, but as soon as it saw me it flew off high and might have landed on the river towards Bearcross.
Chris

I got a red kite over Sturminster Marshall last week on the 13th which is almost exactly a year to the day since I spotted one last year (May 11th) over Lytchett Matravers.

made it to LL with an old friend . Saw the Garganey well , and heard the cuckoo . The rest very much as you describe .

Back to Nairobi on Saturday

maybe see you in August

Mike

Smew was present at 9am, but as soon as it saw me it flew off high and might have landed on the river towards Bearcross.
Chris

Very hot day at Longham today. Canada geese with single gosling on the big lake. Lots of house martins and an lrp. No smew, (phew!!)
Chris

Fox at Longham

Pleased with this fellow at Longham this afternoon.
Also had garganey, cettis warbler calling but not much else. Weather fantastic.

Attachments

• P1020211.jpg
    P1020211.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 40
The Canadas that I saw on a lake at Cerne Abbas appear to have either three or four young. They stood like statues for all of ten minutes while I watched them.

Attachments

• Canadas..jpg
    Canadas..jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Canadas 2.jpg
    Canadas 2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 39
Longham lake at dusk

Garganey still present, plus cuckoo calling and my first views of hobby for the year, over Hampreston fields by the river.
Chris

Went over to the dark side today - stopped off at Blashford lakes in Hampshire and had one superb summer plumaged black tern. Come to Longham please! Also three drakes and one female mandarin at Eyeworth pond.

Attachments

• P1020313.jpg
    P1020313.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 47
Cuckoo calling over longham lake tonight, and lots of black-headed gulls.
The garganey seems a bit more normal now too, not so obsessed with the baby ducks! Not much else to report apart from the spectacular display from the swifts which is a regular evening event.
Chris

Good night at Longham, with hobby, peregrine and three Egyptian geese dropping in for 20 minutes before flying off again. Garganey still there.

Attachments

• P1020377.jpg
    P1020377.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 70
longham lake tonight

Peregrine plucking pigeon on a pylon tonight and I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know that the drake garganey is still here, still paddling round with a female mallard - looking like a bit dropped off. Lots of tufteds and at least 10 gadwall over the two lakes.
Saw two adult foxes with two cubs too.
Very midgey too as this heron pic proves
Chris

Attachments

• P1020487.jpg
    P1020487.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 60
Yet another Red Kite! This time about a mile SW of Sherborne at 10.45 this morning. It was being mobbed by three corvids and, again, I was driving and it had disappeared from sight by the time I was able to stop.

Am I just getting lucky or are there more around at the moment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back