• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

Good selection of waders at Holes bay this afternoon, including spotted redshank, common sandpiper, several avocets, black tailed godwits and a nice little egret.
Chris

Attachments

• spotred.jpg
    spotred.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 70
  • commonsand.jpg
    commonsand.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
All 5 regular British Grebes within 30 minutes at Portland on Sat afternoon.....a Slavonian and 7 Black-necked Grebes off Church Cove in the harbour with 30+ GCGs, 3 Little Grebes at Ferrybridge then a Red-necked at Chesil Cove. Quite a few Med Gulls as well. Also 8 Spoonbills at Holes Bay, Poole, late morning.

Attachments

• spoonbillholes290111.jpg
    spoonbillholes290111.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Poole Park - Long-billed Dowitcher

Went over to see the Dowitcher. It was in the NE corner on the big lake and about 20ft (sorry 6m) from the road. Ridiculously close and clear views, didn't even use the scope! Very settled and not at all bothered by birders, joggers or cars.

Flock of gulls a little further away contained 4 Med Gulls.

Ray and Pat

Attachments

• long-billed-dowitcher.jpg
    long-billed-dowitcher.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 71
Hi to all you Dorset posters. I've not been down your way for some years now but I'll have to get back; it's a wonderful place. For starters you've got some proper hills! Can I ask some of you to cast your minds back/dig your old notebooks out/browse your birding spreadsheets and ask if anyone can remember the Warbler that was a bit further down the valley from the Bluetail at Winspit on at least 6th November 1993 please? If so, what was it determined to be? I recall at the time it was being called a Melodious Warbler (a species I've still never seen) but I remember tagging it as an Acrocephalus and leaning more towards Marsh too. I never did hear the 'official' outcome, would be great to know. The truth is (has got to be) out there...

Cheers,

James

Hi to all you Dorset posters. I've not been down your way for some years now but I'll have to get back; it's a wonderful place. For starters you've got some proper hills! Can I ask some of you to cast your minds back/dig your old notebooks out/browse your birding spreadsheets and ask if anyone can remember the Warbler that was a bit further down the valley from the Bluetail at Winspit on at least 6th November 1993 please? If so, what was it determined to be? I recall at the time it was being called a Melodious Warbler (a species I've still never seen) but I remember tagging it as an Acrocephalus and leaning more towards Marsh too. I never did hear the 'official' outcome, would be great to know. The truth is (has got to be) out there...

Cheers,

James

I can't but I've put the word out...

Cheers,

James

James
People who know tell me the bird was accepted by the Dorset rare birds committee as a Marsh Warbler.

Chris

Many thanks for that Chris; another Marsh to add to my files and pleasing to know that my suspicions were correct. I just hope I can ID one if I find one 'cold'... :t:

James

PS... Canary? So you have a Norfolk connection? :brains:

Many thanks for that Chris; another Marsh to add to my files and pleasing to know that my suspicions were correct. I just hope I can ID one if I find one 'cold'... :t:

James

PS... Canary? So you have a Norfolk connection? :brains:

I was born on the border of Norfolk and Lincs and, for my sins, followfollowfollow follow the green and yellow! Family came from East Walton, near Kings Lynn.

Longham lake today

Still one redhead smew at a very windy lakes this lunchtime. Also 108 pochard on the small lake. Little egret on the riverside.
Too windy for much else.
Chris

Poole Park double delight

Went to the park in very windy weather and was surprised by the excellent views of both the ring billed gull and the dowitcher

Chris

Attachments

• P1050358.jpg
    P1050358.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 87
  • P1050389.jpg
    P1050389.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P1050371.jpg
    P1050371.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 68
Poole Park again 10:45 to 11:15

Went to find the Dowitcher (again) and the Ring-billed Gull. Success on both counts. Dowitcher still in the NE corner of the boating lake whilst the Ring-billed was the other side of the road in the SW corner of the duck lake. It was coming to kids taking bread from their hands! Two Americans within 30m of each other, ridiculous.

Ray

Attachments

• Ring-billed-Gull.jpg
    Ring-billed-Gull.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 76
Both Dowitcher and Ring-billed in Poole Park again on Monday pm. Several Mediterranean Gulls also about and a flock of 30+ Siskins in the Alders near the miniature train rail bridge.

Ring-billed illusive but a good amount of bread to feed the Ducks and Black-headed Gulls will bring it to the duck lake in front of the old Cafe. It will come very close.

Be Aware: On Monday vehicle access to the park was forbidden until about 2pm, the Council appear to be renewing the yellow lines.

Ray

Longham Lakes and Poole Park 9/2

Took a trip out of Hants for a change and was well rewarded.

At Longham there were 6 RH Smew in the NW corner of the southern lake plus 4 RH Goosanders, an immature male Goldeneye and 5 Mediterranean Gulls on the same lake.

Arrived at Poole Park around noon and the Long-billed Dowitcher and Ring-billed Gull were both on the water's edge at the NE corner of the boating lake. The gull then flew onto the roof of the old cafe but re-appeared for photos each time the ducks were fed.

Thanks to all the people who posted the info here.

Attachments

• PP_110209_RI_600x450.jpg
    PP_110209_RI_600x450.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi

A shot of the Long Billed Dowitcher from Saturday. As has been said above, ridiculously close to the road/path. About 15 twitchers with huge lenses tripods etc and it didnt seem in the least bothered.

Attachments

• LBD.JPG
    LBD.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 60
The dowitchers back at lodmoor this morning. Suppose it fancied a change of scenery. It seems amazing loyal to Lodmoor.

Longham Lakes 22/02/2011 11:45-13:05

At last managed to visit the lakes today. Marked difference in the numbers of waterfowl as they begin to disperse.

On the Hampreston fields
Mute Swan 33
Black Swan 1
Canada Geese 5

On the lakes
Good numbers of Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, Tufted Duck but no Gadwall observed.
Canada Goose 8 (fighting over the large island making a total of 13)
Shoveller 4m and 3f
Goosander 2 redheads
Smew 1 redhead
Shelduck 2 (flew in about 12:30)

Great Crested Grebe 3
Little Grebe 4

Little Egret 2

Gulls were in good numbers coming to wash and preen on the south path. Included Herring, Black-headed, Lesser Black-backed, Common and
Mediterranean Gulls 5 Ad. and 2 x 2nd winter moulting to Ad.

Other Highlights included

Linnet 11
Reed Bunting 3 (a pair together in the reed beds on the cross track)

Water Rail 1 (flew between two beds on the cross track)

Green Sandpiper 1 (flushed from the large pools to the SW of large lake and headed over the waterworks)

And finally
Nuthatch 2 (in the west woods Samuels Wood?) (Sorry Chris!)

Ray and Pat

Still 1 Smew and 3 Goosander at Longham Lakes today. Otherwise, duck numbers are falling: down to 22 Teal, 23 Wigeon, 10 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, 12 Mallard and 31 Tufted Duck.

A few gulls the main sign of spring - Lesser Black-backs and 2 Meds.

Longham lake today

Two redhead goosander and three med gulls (all adults) this morning. Much like Dominic's observation most of the ducks have now gone - several pied wagtails about and nice views of a goldcrest.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back