• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New colony of Europe’s rarest breeding bird discovered (1 Viewer)

Birdforum

Administrator
New colony of Europe’s rarest breeding bird discovered

A new colony of Europe’s rarest breeding bird, Zino’s Petrel Pterodroma madeira, has been found in the central mountains of the island of Madeira, Portugal. The colony, with 20 potential chicks and at least 9 occupied nests, is also potentially the largest for this Critically Endangered bird, which was previously thought to number only 20-30 individuals.

The colony was discovered in the Pico do Areeiro area of the Madeira Natural Park by the park authorities who have now closed off access to the breeding site until the exact size of the colony and potential risks from visitors are assessed. The site is located quite a distance from the only other three previously known colonies, all on inaccessible mountain ledges.

"This recent discovery reinforces the importance of the IBA for the conservation of this highly threatened species and moreover, it shows that more research is needed to protect the breeding grounds of the species." —Helder Costa, President, SPEA

Paulo Oliveira, head of the conservation division at the park said that he believes that further colonies may be found and that work was continuing to locate them.

The bird’s continued survival has been jeopardised by introduced black rats and feral cats, as well as humans, predating eggs and chicks, and by its habitat of well-vegetated ledges being reduced by grazing and trampling by goats and sheep.

The critically endangered Zino's Petrel Pterodroma madeira
T Maul/BirdLife International

Attachments

• zino_s_head.jpg
    zino_s_head.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 348
What is the general bird population of madeira like?

The one thing I noticed when I was there in 1991 was that there didn't seem to be any birds on the Island. The tour guide at the time said that it was because the Island was off the migration routes.

This report got me interested in the Zino Petrel. Thanks. I think I'll do a little browsing around the web, and see what I can find out about that bird.

What a pretty little thing!

I have always thought that petrels were pelagics, mostly. What has caused their decline? Habitat loss, I assume, but what, specifically?

Great news. Yes, they are pelagic seabirds. The main cause of the decline is rats and other mammalian predators (cats etc) - Maderia was mammal-free until humans arrived around 600-700 years ago.

Michael

I wish people would not call Madeira a part of Europe. Geographically it is nearer Africa than Europe, it is included in the area covered by the African Bird Club, and it is only Europe politically.

steve

Maderia is a part of the Western Palearctic and is included in the EBCC Atlas of European Birds.

It may be geographiacally closer to Africa, but as the West Pal is lazily referred to as Europe, the writer of this report is only following others.

I'm sure the African Bird Club also cover Banc d'Arguin in Maurutaina (which is actually IN Africa) but by the same lazy reporting would also be cosidered "European" - ie = West Pal...

Mike

From BirdLife's database. A bit of background on Zino's Petrel:

http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=3906&m=0#

and on Madeira

http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/sites/index.html?action=SitHTMDetails.asp&sid=10&m=0

Cheers

Ilya

Beverlybanes said:
What has caused their decline...

walwyn said:
What is the general bird population of madeira like?

The one thing I noticed when I was there in 1991 was that there didn't seem to be any birds on the Island. The tour guide at the time said that it was because the Island was off the migration routes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back