• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Bird - San Diego, USA (1 Viewer)

drsgeo

I took these photos last summer right near the beach in Coronado, California, but got stumped trying to ID them. I think the first four were the same bird (or at least very similar birds), with the final one a different bird. They seem to be female and male of the same species. The closest I could find in my field guides were cowbirds and blackbirds, but nothing seemed quite right. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Attachments

• sd1a.jpg
    sd1a.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 137
  • sd1b.jpg
    sd1b.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 168
  • sd1c.jpg
    sd1c.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 107
  • sd1d.jpg
    sd1d.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 132
  • sd2.jpg
    sd2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 116
bird 2 is a starling....but I think the rest are something else, as they have a different bill shape, posture, shape, plumage etc. I was also thinking brewer's for the rest, but not that sure.

Scott

Last edited:
If you look closely at the starling you can see that its just started its post juvenile moult. Its greater coverts have the familiar iridescent green centres of an adult bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back