• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Front Porch Bird Nest (1 Viewer)

Andi37

Front Porch Bird Nest- Identification Help!

Hello!

This spring, a family of cute little birds decided to make a home on my front porch. There are two baby birds, and both parents are always around, somewhere in my front yard.

I am very curious to find out what kind of birds they are! They are fairly small, have white chests, and gray/black feathers on their back and wings. I live in Northwestern Connecticut. I have attached a picture of the mother bird at the nest, and it would be great if somebody could tell me what kind of birds they are! |:$|

Also, I have a live feed of the nest going on if anybody is interested!
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/baby-bird-nest

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 11.02.41 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 11.02.41 AM.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Eastern Phoebes seem to be one of the more common birds to build their nests under the eaves of houses. I've had a pair that have built or rebuilt a nest under my front porch for several years now along a narrow ledge.

Cool! I was very surprised to find a bird nest right next to my front door, but I guess it's pretty common, then!

Do eggs usually fall out of the nest? I think there were originally 5 eggs in total; one we saw in the nest but it never hatched, and we found 2 on the porch floor. One of them had a developing bird inside that was still living, and was actually moving and trying to get out of the egg, even though he obviously couldn't make it (I attached a picture of him).

Do eggs usually fall out of the nest like that? I couldn't imagine more than 2 growing up and fitting in the nest, so I was wondering if the parents tossed the weak ones out...? (Sorry, I do not have much knowledge about birds at all. I just find this so interesting.)

Attachments

• IMAG0846.jpg
    IMAG0846.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back