• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

has anyone ever eaten a malay apple? (1 Viewer)

Yes Marmot after seing the picture i got it. It is called Jumbu Air(in Malay)-they have red coloured ones and green coloured ones.-very watery and some are sweet while some are blind motacilla-quite a common fruit here.They appear like breast hanging from trees-yes they do.I have never heard it called malay apple.regards.It is one of my frav. fruits.

While I have the eastern fruit experts attention, what is the fruit that is the other parent of a lychee (i.e. not rambutan) I have a feeling that the Thai name for it is something like "Mother of Lychee" but I might have got my country wrong there!

mmmmm! Longan (never did know the name of those, thanks Jane & Hanno) are delicious. Not sure I've ever tried a Malay Apple though.

My next question. What is the fruit that has a thickish skin and flesh that stains you very red if you get it on your hands. It tastes vaguely like a citrus fruit and from the outside looks a bit like a pomegranate?

As you can tell I make it a policy to always eat fruit I have never seen before!

Beetrott? Just kidding, but I don't think it is Javan Plum, the latter doesn't stain nor does it look anything like pomegranate, more like Olives. Asked my wife if she knew a fruit like that, but she also has no idea.

Hanno said:
Certainly not as it doesn't stain. I'll ask my Chef later, see if he has any ideas.
Don't know about yours but our pink-red variety does. The juice is just like beetroot juice. The white doesn't stain.

Jane Turner said:
It looks more like a Grapefruit once you get through the thick fleshy skin. I'll get a photo next time!
I think it is called a Mangosteen-thick outer covering stain your hands while getting the fruit inside whitish clusters of fruits-very sweet most of the time. B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back