• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

identify these, hahaha (1 Viewer)

ProthonotaryWarbler

here are 3 pictures up for grabs. Have fun!!! All were taken in North Carolina

Attachments

• myst_09.jpg
    myst_09.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 185
  • tn_Bird pics 1 494.jpg
    tn_Bird pics 1 494.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 215
  • tn_Bird pics 1 457.jpg
    tn_Bird pics 1 457.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 218
The first one looks like a Brown-capped Rosy Finch, but they're only in the Colorado area. The second one I have no clue, maybe a baby Turkey vulture. The third one looks like an Orange-crowned Warbler, but I can't really tell without seeing the face. Contgrats! These are real STUMPERS! B :)

sorry, none of those are right. good try on the first one though. second one is not a baby turkey vulture, good guess on the 3rd but OCWA isnt right.

Hints:
1. an abnormal something
2. it is a baby bird of some kind that nests in man made bird houses
3. your in the right family, but wrong genus

Last edited:
#1's shape reminds me of a Dark-eyed Junco, but I can't find any subspecies that match the coloring that this bird has.

#2: Eastern Bluebird?

#3. Ringed Warbler? ;)

totally guessing, some kind of aberrantly colored Sparrow (Fox?), something from Corvidae - Cyanocitta?, an immature or female Parulid - got me on the genus.

Last edited:
Hi Young,

How did you reach the conclusion #1 is a Fox Sparrow? I thought you must have new ID information. Neither Paulson or Kaufman seem to find this a likely solution - two pretty experienced birders. Luke

Streatham,
Look at Tove's description. To me his theory of a Fox Sparrow is backed up by more information than the others. His description gives several good points that strongly suggest that this is indeed an abnormal Fox Sparrow. Kaufman and Paulson didn't suggest a specific bird species, just threw around some ideas and didn't give a definitive answer. So I'm going with Mike Tove here because like I said earlier his description and reasoning for a Fox Sparrow was more thorough than the other descriptions and was also backed up by more information. But you can call it what you want, since there was alot of disagreement on this bird when it was first seen. |=)|

So now let's move on to the next two.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back