• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Limosa Holidays - Classic Costa Rica tour -March 2015 (1 Viewer)

kstennett

Leader: Harry Barnard
Pros
• Genuinely fully inclusive we spent very little during the tour
• The guide was very knowledgeable about the birds and wildlife of Costa Rica (and elsewhere) - however see below
• Excellent accommodation and food with exception of one location - see below
• Over 400 species of bird seen including good views of male and female Queztal.
• Many good opportunities for photography
• Wide range of habitats visited
• Vehicle used was large enough and comfortable. Very well driven.
• Limosa and their agents Costa Rica Gateway were helpful with hotel bookings and transport when our flights were cancelled due to volcanic activity. However see below
Cons
• Only 11 of the days are guided (in this case 2nd - 12th March)
• The guide's inexperience in dealing with diverse groups was very obvious and the cause of some dissatisfaction amongst participants. In particular he seemed unable to pace or vary the tour to suit varying birding and physical abilities . He also had little patience with those who could not remember the identification of a previously seen bird or with those not as dedicated to ticking the list as himself!
• The final hotel Punta Leona was disappointing - too much of a tourist hotel for a birding group.
• No representative of any kind accompanied the group to the departure airport. This created difficulty for us when flights were cancelled and had to be rebooked. We had to use a mobile phone to summon help, communication by mobile phone was expensive and so far no reimbursement has been offered despite repeated requests.

I am posting again to make sure the record is put straight re Limosa Holidays and my mobile phone bill mentioned in my original post.

My phone costs will be reimbursed in full and I'm very happy now with that.

Limosa have also taken on board all feedback from myself and other tour participants and are discussing ways the tour could be improved for the future.

I would say that if you are considering using Limosa you should not be put off, note that I have made more positive than negative bullet points. Perhaps the negative points can just be used to help you form some questions to ask before you book

Thanks
Kath

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back