• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Always Expect The Unexpected ! (1 Viewer)

jpoyner

Scotland
Dejected after spending a fruitless day migrant hunting along the Moray Firth I set off for the 50 mins drive back towards Grantown on Spey. Satuday afternoon radio keeping me amused, my thoughts turn to the evening's "entertainment" in he local, when suddenly the car in front brakes and swerves. Bloody pheasants I think as I glimpse a shape dart in front of their bumper.
Next instant I am breaking sharply as a male Capercaillie stands motionless, tail fanned, in the middle of the A939!!!!
I pull over, as the bird casually walks to the side of the car and peers in, neck stretched through the passenger window before walking round the back of the car and flying off into the trees.
I smile at the motorist stopped behind me and continue on my way........now thats what I call Birding......

J Poyner.

Now that would have made a nice mess of your Motor, JP.
Excellent record, you jammy so-and-so!

Given the rarity of Capers now, well done the driver in front for avoiding hitting it!

Wonder if they thought it was an escaped turkey, or was it another birder??

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back