• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inexpensive tripod suggestions for 6ft straight-scope user... (1 Viewer)

Hi there -

I need to get a new tripod, because I recently purchased my first scope (Nikon RA III 60mm, which I guess is about 1kg). My existing tripod extends to 147cm, but it's about 20cm too short. From this I take it I need something of about 167cm.

My budget isn't enormous, but I would like to spend enough to get a decent product, reasonably sturdy and long-lasting and ideally not horribly heavy. I know, rather a lot to ask!

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/horizon-8115-2-way-heavy-duty-tripod.html for instance is surely great for stability, but at 4kg it's too much to be carting around all day.

I've used a Slik Master tripod a fair bit and that seemed to be able to take a beating, I also liked the one-touch head. From this I'm considering the Velbon Sherpa 600R, seemingly available for about £70. Thoughts?

I've also seen people recommend the Slik sprint pro, which is endearingly light and cheap. Surely a bit too cheap though for the specs?

Any other suggestions (including 'get an angled scope') appreciated.

Oh, and it's me that's 6ft, not the scope...

Thanks John, I have seen the camlinks advertised, but not in person. As ever I'm trading off weight with rigidity. I suspect that model might be a bit on the heavy side for me. I will weigh my current setup to better inform my judgement.

Have a look at the Manfrotto 55 in it's various incarnations - good solid no nonsense kit. However I would STRONGLY recommend that you scour the used market, I picked up a very decent nick 3 series Gitzo Carbon Systematic with a center column. When I asked the price, I was asking about the center column only (as I already had a 3 series Systematic), I was told 100 quid for the lot! True this was the older model of the tripod but they still fetch top money - so well worth a look at used kit.
P.S. This used Gitzo G1329 Mk2 is far more stable (though heavier) than my brand new Gitzo GT2531 and quite a bit taller.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back