• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oare Marshes Monday 5th April (1 Viewer)

Lancey

The morning at Oare began with 2 Yellow Wagtails showing well on the East Lagoon and a single Little Ringed Plover ( see photos below) plus 2 Little Egrets. 20 summer plumaged Black-Tailed Godwits were on the West Lagoon along with 8 Avocets.

Ham Road Gravel pits provided the unexpected sight of an adult Spoonbill flying westwards along the River Swale in the direction of Oare at 12:15 (high tide). A Green Sandpiper and Yellow Wagtail were on the shore of the gravel pit and four Marsh Harriers and 2 Little Egrets were in the vicinity.

A hasty return to Oare drew a blank on the Spoonbill but three 'firsts' for 2004 came in quick succession; three Swallows flying east along the Swale, a Common Tern on the West Lagoon and a Sand Martin over the East Lagoon. I'd have seen none of these if it hadn't been for the Spoonbill. It just goes to show what difference an hour can make. I wonder what arrived after I'd left....

Attachments

• LRP05-apr-04 001.jpg
    LRP05-apr-04 001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 136
  • LRP05-apr-04 002.jpg
    LRP05-apr-04 002.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 114
  • YellowWag05-apr-04.jpg
    YellowWag05-apr-04.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 130
Great to hear the yellow wags are back at Oare. I couldn't get there this sunday (had to do a boot fair, yeuchh!) but I'll be keeping an eye out this weekend, especially if there's a possibility of a spoon bill!
Thanks
Woody

Good to see the yellow wagtails are there. We went on Sunday, but in the strong wind things were not easy and we didn't see any. There were over 60 avocet on the mudflats, which made it worthwhile. Also a water pipit.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back