• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Train ticks (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Caught the 10.35 Norwich to Gt Yarmouth seaside express, and noted these.

3 Marsh Harrier
1 Little Egret
1 Pheasant sat on Berney train station
1 Kestrel, flushed by the train
Curlew flock in the field
Avocet flock on Berney marshes
3 Egyptian Geese flying over Buckenham train station
2 Canada Geese
1 Little Grebe
Teal, still a few out on Berney marshes

and a varying number of - Coot, moorhen, Redshank, Shelduck, Oystercatcher, greylags etc.

Hope to get some incoming migrants this weekend !!!

Hi Carlos,
There was a male Red-footed Falcon seen from the Cork-Cobh train some years back!I went to look for it,but no joy.
Have seen Green Sandpiper,wintering Common Sandpiper,numerous Little Egrets etc from the Cork-Cobh train myself.
My first ever Alpine Swift was seen from a moving minibus in Bulgaria!We didn't even need to stop in order to confirm the ID.
Harry

Harry,

I remember seeing three young birders identify a RF Falcon from a train in Lancs (didn't know this was why they were so excited at the time). They tried to get off at the next station but it was an 'express' and didn't stop there! By the time they had walked from the next station a small crowd had gathered and they could claim no credit, though it eventually transpired it had been reported the day before by someone who wasn't believed!

Stephen.

Once found a Red-breasted Flycatcher from a train - it was flitting around the station bushes at Bogston Station west of Glasgow (Glasgow-Gourock line), watched it while the train was stopped at the station

Michael

I've wracked my brains and I can do no better than a Black Redstart... mind you most of Mersey Rail is underground. Black Tern, Iceland Gull, Little Gull and Med Gull off the Ferry cross da Mersey though

My wife used to commute regularly from Peterborough to London and over the years, amassed a pretty impressive list including:-

Marsh, Hen and Montagu's Harriers
Crane
Buzzard
Golden Oriole
Short-eared and Barn Owls
Kingfisher
Peregrine
Merlin
Bewick's and Whooper Swans
Little Egret ...

Most were seen on the fens between P'boro and Huntingdon.

A friend saw a pratincole sp. in the same stretch.

A trip from P'boro to Ipswich the other day saw her log a nice flock of Waxwings and another Barn Owl ...

Needless to say, I have never been with her when shae has seen anything half decent.

Gordon

The Meols Hoopoe is visible from the W.Kirby line of Merseyrail

Do I get any points for Leach's Petrel IN the Mersey Road Tunnel!

gordon hamlett said:
My wife ... amassed a pretty impressive list including:-

... Montagu's Harriers ... Golden Oriole

Gordon
:clap: :clap:

What did the other passengers think when she started jumping up & down ? ;) ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back