• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pipit, Fraser's Hill, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

JanArras

These pipits were on the golf course at Fraser's Hill, July 2014.
My first idea was Paddyfield Pipit.
A local birder told me Paddyfield was never seen here ?
He told me it must Richard's Pipit.

Anyone who can help ?

Attachments

• Pipit1.jpg
    Pipit1.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Pipit2.jpg
    Pipit2.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 43
  • Pipit3.jpg
    Pipit3.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 85
It is not a Richard's Pipit and with that thin loral-stripe and that structure I would say Paddyfield Pipit, despite what the local says. The thing that concerns me is the streaks extending down onto the flanks as I can't match that to any Paddyfield Pipit that I have seen but I have found photographs of juvenile Paddyfield with streaking on the rear flanks.

Cheers

Roy

It is a Paddyfield Pipit. Note the rather short hindclaw and slight dark loral stripe, for instance.
Paddyfield Pipit is the default pipit species in Peninsular Malaysia, and I have certainly seen them on the golf course in Fraser's Hill even though I have been there only once.
According to Dave Blakewell's blog, there have been no confirmed records of Richard's Pipit in Peninsular Malaysia, at least not up to 2012 (http://digdeep1962.blogspot.be/2012/02/pipits-paddyfield-richards-and-blyths.html).
The Fraser's Hill checklist only includes Paddyfield and Olive-tree Pipit:
http://www.malaysiabirding.org/checklist/birdpamphlet_frasershill.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back