• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

rka

ttbirds
I snapped this one in a grassy area close to the marshes. It was foraging on the ground and ever so often, flew up about 10 feet and retruned to the same general area. Must have been about 7 inches.

rka

Attachments

• Any Ideas.jpg
    Any Ideas.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 297
Are your Bobolinks different than my Bobolinks? Because the bill looks wrong for Dolichonyx oryzivorous

My first reaction was Meadowlark spp, the bill looks too long for a Bobolink... I have to confess to making sure I saw adult breeding plumage birds, but on location I'd guess Eastern. I can convince myself that the line through the eye is strong...the ear-coverts are more ambiguous.

Jane Turner said:
My first reaction was Meadowlark spp, the bill looks too long for a Bobolink... I have to confess to making sure I saw adult breeding plumage birds, but on location I'd guess Eastern. I can convince myself that the line through the eye is strong...the ear-coverts are more ambiguous.

Hi Jane,

I was thinking more in terms of female S. militaris.

Steve ;)

Tim Allwood said:
looks like Sturnella blackbird species maybe militaris but also perhaps superciliaris...?

Not sure I know what they are or look like, so I absolve myself - at least I got the genus right!!

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
looks like Sturnella blackbird species maybe militaris but also perhaps superciliaris...?[/QUOTE

Tim has sussed it.

On range it is most likely Sturnella militaris, Red-breasted Blackbird, a fairly common species on Trinidad. S. superciliaris is a more southern species.

Steve

A quick google search for a T & T birdlist showed militaris as the only choice.

The bill looks to me to be a tad short and thick for Eastern Meadowlark anyway.

superciliaris has a beak that looks like genus Passer, this is almost surely militaris which has a considerably longer beak and this is one of the ways to distinguish the two.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back