• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caribbean ID please (1 Viewer)

speirs2

Can anyone ID this bird please, i found 10 of them feeding on the grass today,thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0773_1.jpg
    IMG_0773_1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0768_1.jpg
    IMG_0768_1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0759_1.jpg
    IMG_0759_1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0764_1.jpg
    IMG_0764_1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for the quick reply, i'm not disapointed, this could be a very rare bird here.

...it's not.

They are an invasive, non-native species, found throughout the entirety of North America very commonly in urban and suburban areas, and much of, if not the entirety of the West Indies - Raffaele et al in "Birds of the West Indies" note "range is expanding" and his map from ~1998 already shows them in most of the West Indies. Plus, if you saw 10+ of them, that doesn't make much sense coordinating with your rarity evaluation.

On what island were your photos taken, by chance?

Last edited:
...it's not.

They are an invasive, non-native species, found throughout the entirety of North America, and much of, if not the entirety of the West Indies - Raffaele et al in "Birds of the West Indies" note "range is expanding" and his map from ~1998 already shows them in most of the West Indies. Plus, if you saw 10+ of them, that doesn't make much sense coordinating with your rarity evaluation.

On what island were your photos taken, by chance?

Mustique Grenadines, no record of House Sparrows ever here.

Mustique Grenadines, no record of House Sparrows ever here.

I apologize for my presumptuousness, but according to all list I could find, they are expected and have been recorded throughout the Grenadines, to the point of commonality:

http://www.bsc-eoc.org/avibase/checklist.jsp?lang=EN&region=vc&list=clements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Saint_Vincent_and_the_Grenadines

For an invasive species which 10 years ago was becoming common in Guadaloupe (per Raffaele et al) and is noted to be expanding its range rapidly (having additionally done so throughout North America), I would expect it to have made it to the Grenadines by now.

Thanks for the info, St.Vincent has many birds not recorded here,mainly because it's a much bigger Island and more birdwatchers go there than the Grenadines.
So it looks like i'll be seeing Sparrows more often now! not sure if thats a good thing or not.
Thanks again.

The first record of House Sparrow on Dominica was in 2007, and I have still only seen them once on this island. I am curious about where the Raffaele guide has the Guadeloupe info from, the checklist from 2005 for the French Antilles does not mention this species ...

Niels

Thanks for the quick reply, i'm not disapointed, this could be a very rare bird here.

10 females? Didn't you see any males? They are hard to miss and much easier to ID.

House Sparrows control my back yard and House Finches control the front.:-O

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back