• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grace's or Townsend's Warbler? (1 Viewer)

LzyPhotographer

What do you think - Grace's or Townsend's? Or maybe it's something completely different? ;-) If you could tell my why, I'd appreciate it. My guess is Grace's.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• gw1.jpg
    gw1.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 292
  • gw2.jpg
    gw2.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 276
I'm not experienced with either species but it seems to have too much yellow on the head for Grace's and Townsend's seems pretty close.

Yes, Townsend's, Lzy. The green back and black earpatch eliminates Grace's. Townsend's is most often confused with Black-throated Green and Hermit (because they're most often seen high overhead, hence a view of the underside only), but the strong black earpatch on your bird indicates a male Townsend's (BT Green has much duller patch and Hermit's is downright yellow). Townsend's and Grace's don't overlap much in breeding season; where and when did you take these shots, Lzy?

Mr. Harper already gave the details as to why it's a townsend's.

So, I'm just going to concur.

Also, isn't grace's grey on the upper mantle rather than greenish-yellow as in Townsend's?

I'd vote for Townsend's. As Charles said, the dark, enclosed ear patch is diagnostic. Grace's, in any plumage, also doesn't have any black on the throat, and the second picture shows a black patch, or at least the start of one. (The head angled down in the first hides most of the throat area; the flank streaks aren't visible in the first photo, either.)

Wow, once again you guys are amazing. Thank you!

Charles - this was taken this past weekend in a Sorrento Valley office park. Just a short distance SE from Torrey Pines and Batiquitos Lagoon.

Well, it's a done deal, so you don't need me, but I do live in the heart of Townsend's warbler country, and even in January I saw four beautiful ones together in a cedar--with full winter sunshine streaming almost sideways upon them! Gorgeous! (Quite rarely seen in winter this far north, but considered to regularly over-winter nonetheless.)

Yours is theoretically an adult female, of course. The photo on the left is trickier, and it would stop people familiar with the species from jumping in too quickly--perhaps a fairly good "mystery bird" photo. The picture on the right is pretty well what you'd expect; it's not an easy photo to take, and that's quite a decent shot. Through binoculars, the bird would appear neater and trimmer.

Very nice! If you're not familiar with Townsend's Warblers, BTW, you might think, "Hemlock Warbler." They like cedars (actually Thujas) very much too, but these beautiful birds and Western Hemlock trees were made for each other! I mean big hemlocks and cedars, one or two hundred feet high. Close views of Townsend's Warblers are common enough, but so are very difficult distant views in poor light. You need to know the song, which is confusingly similar to the Black-throated Gray Warbler's song. (We have to re-learn them every year, because the songs are variable.)

Cheers!

Hi Carson,

Managed to get both of those (Townsend's & B-t Gray) on a trip to the western US a couple of years ago, but they weren't singing (September). And yes, they were in Redcedar and Hemlock (and Doug-fir)

Michael

I've gone back to where the first pics where taken about a dozen times and I haven't been able to see the bird again. But the other day, this one was in the tree next to my 3rd floor balcony. The pics aren't too good - the little thing was very camera shy.

The first pics were identified as Townsend's and these new ones look like Townsend's also, I think. My question is that in the 2nd pics, there clearly is yellow under the eye, but there's doesn't appear to be any in the 1st pics; does this mean one set of pics was identifed wrong? Or is it that there is sometimes variations in the colouring? Like maybe the eye is surrounded by black, maybe not? ;-)

Thoughts please... I'm trying to learn.

Attachments

• tw1.jpg
    tw1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 257
  • tw2.jpg
    tw2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 222
I don`t really know how much variation in that yellow eyebag to expect, lzy-- I`ve seldom seen the species that closely. The previous bird being a winter (Dec?) female, and this one being a spring male, the difference in contrast between black and yellow could have something to do with it.

Nice shot!.

Is there any chance of you adding your photo to the Gallery so it can be added to the Bird Database?. The forum has not seen any other photo of one of these birds!.

Townsend's again. First fall females can be quite gray, similar to Grace's, but this looks like a textbook adult male Townsend's.

The yellow on the throat and the yellow eyeline on Grace's warbler don't meet to encircle the cheek patch like you see here on the Townsend's, in any plumage, so even if the bird can look more gray than black in bad light or in shrubbery, that solid yellow around the cheek patch can help distinguish the two spp.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back