• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone help id this bird? (1 Viewer)

pnicholls

After going through my book, I am still unable to id this bird. It resembles a flycatcher and a warbler, but I am really stumped. It is about 4" or 5" in size and chowed down on thistle seed. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• w1922.jpg
    w1922.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 425
Brian answered your query Pete.. an AMGF in winter plummage it is.... great shot by the way. First time you have these in your space???

Thanks!

Thanks Brian and Gaye. This is the first time I have seen this one, but I remember seeing a mystery bird in the summer that had some gold on it, so maybe it was the same bird in summer plumage. Thanks for the ID, and will go back to the book now and learn more about this species.

Hi, It's an American Goldfinch an Adult Winter Female. Also known as a "Wild Canary".
Common & gregarious particually fond of Thistles & Sunflowers as are our European Goldfinches.

Love the photo. Can I download it into my private album please?

CJ

Looks like one of our Chaffinches, here in the UK, of indeterminate sex! (The males are brighter and the females duller, but both with the bright wing bar!)

Great pic, 'though!

Yep, A. goldfinch alright! I see others have already given you an ID on it. I had 15-20 of them at once on & around my thistle socks today. Really neat little birds, aren't they?

Female American goldfinch certainly does look like our female Chaffinch here in Britain,

Attachments

• f-chaffinch-d-816[1].jpg
    f-chaffinch-d-816[1].jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 109
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back