• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipits (1 Viewer)

Henry H

Having read the other Mipit v Ripit v Wipit threads the one thing that strikes me is that I should have got this bird to pose for me, facing the camera and should have arranged for the sun to shine! Then I would perhaps be more certain. Please can everyone give me the benefit of their experience, but you must all agree, so that I am left in no doubt! Only joking about the last point. Anyway, my not-so-good picture of a Meadow Pipit (?) is attached below. It was taken on a rocky slope by the sea, but inland of the sea wall is a large expanse of well manicured lawn. NW England

Attachments

• Pipit.jpg
    Pipit.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 271
Looks like a Mipit to me. I assume you have seen Rock and Water Pipit as they are both regular in the Lytham area, but if you haven't let me know (though it is getting late for both species).

Stephen.

Jane Turner said:
eek. I'll pretend I didn't see this. Happy as ever to rule out Wapit though :)

I know what you mean Jane. I can rule out Tawny and Richards as well!!

It's a bit duller than most Meadows I see and the eye ring is not as pronounced.

Darrell

Last edited:
I thought that too Jane - they don't usually look that dark. Mipits can be strikingly varied at this time of year though, especially when you have mixtures of birds from different populations in the same place.

Hi Henry,
With the proviso that the camera CAN sometimes lie,or at least the finished pic may not truly represent the appearance of the bird in life,I'd say that this is a slightly odd-looking Meadow Pipit.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back