• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

After the Lord Mayors show... (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

..having seen the Bufflehead during its brief stay in Greater Manchester I was unable to get out until late today.

I ended up driving with the family past the Great Grey Shrike site at Chapel-en-le-Frith (where I'd seen the Shrike two days earlier) but there was no sign during a brief look (the bird ranges quite a distance).

I ended up on the Derbyshire/Cheshire border at Derbyshire Bridge. The clouds blew away and as my 8 year old son played in the stream we watched Short-eared Owls hunting over the moorland, one flew over our heads only feet away, whilst a second pair displayed nearby.

With a supporting cast of Buzzard, Kestrel, Peregrine, displaying Curlew and Grey Wagtail we watched the sun set behind the Cat & Fiddle pub, with owls still showing all around.

A magical evening!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back