• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID? (1 Viewer)

KAC

This one has me stumped. I've never seen one with this type of coloring. Photo was taken in southeast US.

Thanks,
KAC

Attachments

• DSC_2587-1.jpg
    DSC_2587-1.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 119
Moulting (1st winter?) male Lesser Scaup was the best I could come up with, but not a plumage I'm familiar with.

Hybrid I guess may be a possibility but I'm sure more experienced Americans will be able to say what it is.

Cheers

Roy

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing (Lesser Scaup), but that other color mix was throwing me for a loop.

KAC

"Female-type" scaup.

It's not in my books, but the Internet tells me that juvenile scaups do look a lot like females, and have dark bills. I'm not sure this bill is dark enough for a juvie, but maybe it's in transition.

Southeast US is a long way from breeding grounds, maybe somebody here will know if juvies migrate before molting.

A bit of white speckling is common, though there is more here than I usually see.

I'll take a wild guess on Lesser, just for fun.

As others have suggested a lesser scaup. Its always hard to judge from such photos with nothing to relate size to , but to me it does not seem big enough for a greater scaup and the head\body shape is more of what I would expect from a lesser scaup. With black feathers starting to come through on the head and the light feathers on its flanks its a male just starting to come into winter plumage and the dull eye makes it a juvenile.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back