• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 20D and 100-400 Zoom settings (1 Viewer)

Boy George

I may be stupid, but.......
I've bought a second-hand Canon 100-400mm IS Zoom lens to fit an EOS 20D. The lens does not have a manual with it and whilst much is pretty obvious, can anyone throw any light on the relationship between the camera's three Autofocus settings viz: One Shot, A1 Focus and A1 Servo and the lens's two Stabiliser modes viz: Modes 1 & 2?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Adrian

PS I've already learnt a lot already from threads on this site, so thanks for that all who have contributed.

Last edited:
Boy George said:
I may be stupid, but.......
I've bought a second-hand Canon 100-400mm IS Zoom lens to fit an EOS 20D. The lens does not have a manual with it and whilst much is pretty obvious, can anyone throw any light on the relationship between the camera's three Autofocus settings viz: One Shot, A1 Focus and A1 Servo and the lens's two Stabiliser modes viz: Modes 1 & 2?

The two aren't connected.

Mode 1 of the IS is for stationery subjects and stabilises vertical and horizontal.
Mode 2 is for following moving subjects and will only stabilise on one plain to allow you to pan.

Off the top of my head one shot will focus once when you half press the shutter and the other two settings will continually re-focus in different modes but I can't remember what they are.

PWG said:
The two aren't connected.

Mode 1 of the IS is for stationery subjects and stabilises vertical and horizontal.
Mode 2 is for following moving subjects and will only stabilise on one plain to allow you to pan.

Off the top of my head one shot will focus once when you half press the shutter and the other two settings will continually re-focus in different modes but I can't remember what they are.

Thanks for that Paul - I need to go out and practise now!

Adrian

One Shot is .. er ... one shot! The other two are badly named and it's difficult to remember which is which. If I've got them the right way around this time:

AI Servo: continuously refocuses. Good for moving subjects.

AI Focus: same as one shot except that it monitors the focal point and if the object starts to move it switches itself over to AI Servo mode.

Duh????

Tannin said:
One Shot is .. er ... one shot! The other two are badly named and it's difficult to remember which is which. If I've got them the right way around this time:

AI Servo: continuously refocuses. Good for moving subjects.

AI Focus: same as one shot except that it monitors the focal point and if the object starts to move it switches itself over to AI Servo mode.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, Tannin - I think I've got my head around that one - Damn clever if it works!

Adrian

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back