• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please? (1 Viewer)

I'm a novice birder anyway and since moving to Indian Springs I'm seeing a lot of new to me aquatic birds. Could some one ID this one for me please?

Attachments

• bf unk dscn5154.jpg
    bf unk dscn5154.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 401
Great, thanks. Figured it must be something like that but I'm still trying to sort out the adults and I don't even have pictures of the chicks to go by.

There's a good illustration in Sibley's Guide to Birds. I considered American Coot, but the legs are too attenuated, I think. A possibility, I admit. Wish his beak weren't pointed right at the camera...

Charles, I got back out to the pond looking for Moorhen when I saw this. Maybe American Coot is a possibility, even though the juvenile pictured in my Sibleys looks much darker and with shorter legs.

Attachments

• bf coot dscn5118.jpg
    bf coot dscn5118.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 312
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back