• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

whith pipit it is? water? (1 Viewer)

Hi Yohay,
This doesn't look like a Water Pipit(leg colour,flank streaking,upperparts etc wrong),and is probably one of the smaller species.On the basis of the photograph alone,it's hard to judge features such as facial pattern,and I wouldn't like to commit myself to a definite ID on what's visible.Nevertheless,it could well be a Meadow Pipit?Seems to have thicker flank streaking than shown by most Trees,and too much of a buffish cast to the flanks for Red-throated.
Harry H

Yohay,

I would agree with Harry that it probably isn't a Water Pipit (too much streaking, legs probably too pale). Hard to say beyond that after the Cornish pipit.

Was it taken in Israel?

Stephen.

Having spent many hours with that Cornish Pipit I've become fascinated by them.

Obviously from such a small image a conclusive ID would be very difficult, but I don't think we should dismiss it as a Meadow Pipit straight away because there are one or two things which don't seem quite right. Firstly it seems to have one hell of a post ocular supercillium, which doesn't sit well with Meadow Pipit. Then there is the large malar 'splodge' and the obvious median covert wing bar, both of which look a little too bold for Meadow Pipit. The legs are very pink, which is wrong for Water Pipit, but then again those on the Cornish Pipit look exactly the same - like they've come from a Radde's Warbler.
It is difficult to gauge from the photo but I'd like to know why you thought it was a Water Pipit - was it the structure of the bird? Those who have seen the Cornish Pipit were in no doubt that it was from the Rock/Water/Buff-bellied family whereas those who saw the photos thought it was a Meadow Pipit.

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back