• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need some help with binocs selection (1 Viewer)

new here, but decided I wanted to get some insight from the members here - I've been lurking the forums while researching and finally decided I should join and ask a question.

Going to Alaska in mid june for two weeks. 1 week on an American Safari cruise and then the next week on land, including 4 days camping at Denali.

Looking for some binoculars for my wife and me. Been reading lots and now more confused than ever.

Criteria - wanted waterproof (or at least water resistant), fogproof, reasonably light, hopefully capable of avoiding damage on hikes, and generally good wildlife viewing of creatures on land, air or sea. All light conditions.

Sort of narrowed down to these models, all 8x42:

non phase corrected
Zhumell Signature
Nikon Trailblzaer ATB
Celestron Outland LX
Vortex Crossfire
Bushnell Natureview Roof

phase corrected
Leupold Acadia
Zen Ray ZRS
Eagle Optics Denali
Atlas Optics Radian

Spoke today to EO - they recommended the AO Radian. I understand it to be their house brand, but he recommended it over their EO and others they sell. The ZRS is the only one they don't carry.

Any opinions, good or bad would be appreciated.

I understand the basic physics of the phase correction, but have no way of knowing how much difference it will make in my viewing.

And a second questions while I'm here. I've been reading the generally well regarded opinion of the Leupold Yosemite. I've been thinking of getting the 8x30 in addition to one of the roof prism version above. When talking to EO earlier the rep had some concerns the porro prism Yosemite might experience some damage while hiking - I also have concerns that in rain or splashing from cruise might be more than the "waterproof" design of the porro binoc can handle.

Thanks all

Hi,
Your criteria are well thought out. Any of the glasses you mention will fill the bill, although they vary some in weight.
Two points to consider.
First, it is a mistake imo to share binoculars. If there is two of you but only one glass to see the eagle or whatever, it is a less shared experience.
Second, an 8x42 glass is fairly big. It may not be as comfortable for your wife to hold or to carry. So your thought of getting an inexpensive small 8x30 glass such as a Yosemite or a Nikon Action Extreme is very well taken. It gives you a backup and ensures you can share the views.
In fact, you could just get two of these, maybe one an 8x40. These are robust , waterproof and optically excellent binoculars. They are hunting favorites because they can be used hard without worry, which is also nice when on a vacation.

Yosemite 8x30 is a good choice for hiking. Although I prefer roofprism binoculars over Porro ones, there is no reason to believe Porro is more prone to damage than the roof.

Another one to consider is Zen-Ray VISTA's. The old model is essentially the same binoculars as Atlas Radian, minus phase coating. The new 2010 VISTA has phase coating and silver prism coating. It is believed that the new VISTA is the same binoculars as Vortex Diamondback series.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=162102

A hearty amen to what etudiant said about bino sharing. What a walking disaster my wife and I used to be. She would flip down the rubber eyecups that I had to have up, change the interpupil distance, and reset the focus difference adjustment, for every single bird! Two aficionados might conceivably share a fine and easily adjustable binocular, with which both were intimately familiar, with some marginal degree of success, but would still be ready to strangle one another at the end of the day, and the birds shared would be well under 50%. They fly off. And woah, was that ever not us! Sacrifice quality if necessary to get two somethings.

A non phase coated roof bino beats naked eye very bad. But a Porro or phase coated roof is noticeably better image wise, money well saved, or spent, respectively.

In moderate priced Porros, the prisms are mounted on screw-adjustable shelves, which are used to align the view in the two barrels. Nothing that adjusts with a jeweler's screwdriver is going to be exactly bombproof. The Yosemites and Actions I presume, are made this way. The best Porros and all roofs have prisms mounted fixed and unadjustable, and adjust collimation by "eccentrically mounted" lenses.

Sorry, I can't comment on the models you are considering. Have a nice trip.
Ron

EO has a very good return policy, the Atlas Optics Radian 8x42 weighs only 23 oz. and is light wt. for a 8x42 and it has Eagle Optics Platinum Protection lifetime warranty. Buy this one if you like it keep it, let your wife see if she likes it buy her one.:) Having said all this the Zen Ray has a following on here as well.
Regards, Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back